MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Gran Canaria – an Off-Grid haven?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Xephy 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Xephy

Like a lot of people on this site, Im interested in anything off-grid, living a simple life, tearing away from Consumerism, and finding a safe haven for survival if the shit hits the fan.

Ive lived the last 15 years in Mallorca, a fantastic sunny island in the Spanish Mediterranean. It has a lot of Pros for living, but unfortunately its way too cold and damp in the winter to survive if things go pear shaped.

I have also spent a couple of years in Australia. But their summers although hot, have started to become increasingly wet, and working without papers is illegal, (although we share the same Sovereign! Grrr, Rant over!).

So last Autumn, I decided to pack all my belongings into my trusty rucksack and relocate to the south of Gran Canaria, Spain. I had never visited the island before, and I had no friends or contacts. The only information I knew about the island is it enjoys warm winter sunshine, and that I could find work in Tourism. The perfect combo to keep me afloat whilst I checkout the terrain.

So although Im renting a room in a house and working in a bar, I want to share with you guys the following about my last 5 months here in Gran Canaria….

1. The sun shines almost daily in the south, always hovering around 20 degrees.

2. It has rained only 4 times in the south and no longer than 15 minutes!

3. Canarian `Guanches´still live in caves or shacks scattered around the island. And there are heaps of caves.

4. Motorhomes are parked anywhere and everywhere (although I have no idea if they get hassled by the cops?).

5. Wind turbines are scattered all over the coast – beautiful :)

6. With almost constant daily sunshine, its perfect for Solar energy.

7. The coast is never too far away for fishing.

8. Bananas, Mangos, Avocados, Prickly pears :)

9. There are mountains and if you are clever you will find fresh water.

10. I sleep with my window open every night, and I havent used a heater all winter.

Now some advice for anyone thinking of moving over here.

If you have a trade, say motor mechanic, plumber, electrician, etc, you will be able to find work in the south by advertising yourself to the British and German expats. Generally expats have no knowledge or desire to mix with the Spanish or learn the language, so take full advantage of this fact and you will make money. Otherwise, for unskilled folk like myself, there are plenty of bars, restaurants and hotels to work in all year round.

Having an EU passport makes living here reasonably easy and you will be entitled to work, social security, health care.

I have made no research into the costs of buying land or a house, but a search on Google will give results.

I hope someone out there will find this information insightful or useful?

Xeph :)

(36 year old British passport holder. 20 years traveling, living and working outside of the UK. Fueled by sunshine, happiness, knowledge, the internet, culture, gastronomy, international friendships, and a care free lifestyle!).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.