MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Going semi-off-grid in the Netherlands – anybody out there?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rd1968 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

waltz

My partner and I will from next year be spedning half the year living almost off grid near Amsterdam (we’ll have mains water, which I’m happy about) but solar and propane. We may decide this suits us perfectly – in a couple of years we have the option of making the tiny place we’ve chosen our year-round home – or that in time we want to go further into the countryside.

My partner spent some time at the Sunseed appropriate technology project in Spain but the kinds of technologies that make sense in the Spanish desert are not well suited to the wet Netherlands. I would love to make contact with others in the Netherlands who have experience of what works well here. We’re already used to living without things like a refrigerator, washing machine, car, TV, or landline phone, but solar/12V power and propane are fairly new to me and it will be awhile before I have enough Dutch to get through the language barrier with some of our older neighbours, who will of course be our best resource. Also looking for good gardening advice.

chilli
    Participant

Hi Waltz,

How are your plans going? Still on track to live off grid in Amsterdam? I’d be interested to get in contact. I live in Amsterdam myself, but at the moment far removed from off grid. However I have lived a few years off grid in NL moving around and living in a truck. It was a great life of freedom when you can stand the hassles of the authorities (we were squatting land and old factories) It’s not easy to find a space to live off grid in NL, but it sounds like you have got an arrangement in place. Well done!

Would you like to get in touch? I could do with inspiration of some other free thinking individuals who are not afraid to follow their dreams. Perhaps I can share some of my experience or put my Dutch language skills to some good use. I personally am looking for a way to live a life of more freedom and reward.

Hope to hear from you. Cheers, Chilli

chilli
    Participant

(addition)

Mmmmm….interesting picture appears at my name. Not the pic I uploaded (!!??)

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

chili, if the picture (with the t-shirt and buying vowels) is not what you want, you will need to log into wordpress and change it…

You can change your picture, or gravatar as it is known on WordPress, it’s easy to do, just go to:
    http://wordpress.com
    Create an account (it’s free), go to the settings page:
    https://wordpress.com/?ssl=forced#!/settings/public-profile/
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Change your Gravatar”, just follow the directions and next thing you know, your personalized picture will appear each time you post a message or comment on a site that uses WordPress.

Wretha

rd1968
    Participant

I just bought a 10acres in the bush in south river ontario canada and I’m looking for likeminded people from the world to come together and start a life long adventure .I have a couple living on the property and I will be starting my sandbag/earthship/timber in a month.I will be asking people to rent off me as we can not do a trust in canada as the laws for liability insurance will not let people do that .so I will be the land owner and I will rent one acre pc of the property to pay for the backhoe and all the tools and to help me regain my life savings to fit this opertunity for a better life.I ask $300 canadian for rent /per month,month to month renting is that at any time you do not want to stay you are able to go with not a care of a lease or set time .for this I will let you do anything you want to on the 1 acre .the property is in a unorganized and unincorperated township on a dead end road,we are 10km from a village to get all supplies you want and 50 km from north bay a big city,so if you know of people in your group of friends please let them know
    we are trying to do the same things in Canada,my name is Bob Duchesne and my email is robduchesne@live.ca
    thank you for you time.
    p.s. we are doing permaculture ,and off the grid living simple.windmills and solar with batterys

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.