MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Going off Grid with a Toddler?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  gordo 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

OriginofNine

Hello,

Looking for some advice and insight.

My husband and I are looking to go “off grid” or at least not dependent on a traditional job and mortgage type scenario. We are both fully on board with this idea, though have slightly differing views on exactly how this will play out. At this point we’re just playing it by ear. He currently is employed but plans to quit at the end of the year, and if we can get our house sold, we will have 11k in cash and be completely 100% debt free, owning one car free and clear.

We’re looking at a little town called Crestone, CO, but are open to anywhere in that general area.

…and we have a toddler.

She just hit one year old, and is almost walking. We would be totally up for heading out to wherever and building a house over the summer while living in a tent; our daughter would love that. However, winter is here. I really don’t see that being feasible with a toddler during winter.

Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding going off grid with a toddler?

Suggestions for what we can do with 11k?

How to survive the winter, but not abandon the idea of doing what is on our hearts right now?

Where to go to have kids for our little one to play with, but not have the cost of living go through the roof?

And this last one is a much more general question I think anyone can answer;

What were the first steps you took to actually go off grid?

Thanks!

centralpafarm
    Participant

I am thinking tipi since many Indians have survived well and the snow slides down easily and the fire heats them nicely and well a traditional building can cost a lot. You can also burn your poo in the fire’s hot ashes. I burn mine in my woodstove. Pee is good with the ashes for fertilizer. Its even government approved :) If you dig down some and make banks around the edge and a ring in the middle you can be sure to not roll into the fire. Also the earth is warmer the further down you go. Firewood can be stored around the edges to give you even more protection. Make sure the fire is in the middle. Water can be collected off the canvas and drained either into a container or back outside if your creative. I once lived in a sheet metal a frame with dirt floor covered with bark carpeting which became very nice over time. Then again we were in warmer N calif in southern humboldt county and i had dog killer dave with me who would burn dogfat to light his oil lamp. We ate many squirrels as he was a great shot and we had lots of acorns around us. Well thats my thoughts as a tipi always holds its value for a later sale.

gordo
    Participant

creststone. great hippie town. i think there is a stoplight now.

when i costed a yurt to standard frameing it was a no brainer to build and have sold walls and real glass windows for less then a yurt. tipi will be very limited in space.

one of the guys that helped with the windstar biodome project has a dome business in pagosa springs. again about 1000 dollars per foot of diameter(same on yurts)

crestone can be fairly isolated in the winter with independence pass clossed other great options in the region would be san louis valley(great for solar and wind, limited rain fall), payonia, hotchkiss, and just north between grand junction and rifle. even at 6000 ft elevation you can grow fruit)

also. not much for work in crestone,

cheers gordo

OriginofNine

Thanks for the information gordo, that is very helpful. We have also looked at the San Luis valley area, and it seems nice, but like you said very dry. We are really looking at that area, for some reason the other places you have mentioned seem very nice, but just don’t feel “right” you know?

My concern with building is that we want to do this now – we would need somewhere to stay in the meantime. Did you do the work yourself for your standard frame?

We are not too worried about work, willing to work odd jobs, trade, wanting to grow a large chunk of our own food. Wanting to start up our own business, I have paintings to sell and we are both very handy. If we have our lodging paid for and a ready heating and food supply, there shouldn’t be any other major expenses, right? We are wanting to get out of the rat race anyway.

Thanks!

Rachel

Dustoffer
    Participant

You may want to read a free copy of their last monthly newspaper;

http://www.devsite.crestoneeagle.com/subscribe/digital-subscriptions/

gordo
    Participant

rachel- when is now. for building.

yes build my house solo in 17 weekends. living in the future chicken coop.

i know this isn’t the place for classifieds. rachel if your looking for some solar gear i have a couple of zome works trackers and ill have some (12-20) 50 watt panels availible in spring. i will also be heading to that area in june and can deliver

cheers gordo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.