MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Going off grid with 2 kids…..????

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lamar5292 5 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

JerryT
    Participant

My fiance and I are seriously thinking about going off grid but how will it be possible with a 2 and 6 year olds? Theres alot to consider and we have never tried it before so a little apprehensive. Any suggestions or opinions?

bwingler
    Participant

Hi we did, we got a 7 and 16 year old, they seem to like it, they go to public schools but we have to drive them 4 miles to catch a bus and pick them up. We our totally off grid.

We left the city feb 18th and have been off grid ever since now, we only been off grid for a month now but we love it. We got chickens and turkeys and the kids really enjoy caring for them.

They biggest thing is just being able to unplug and let go, once you do that you can start enjoying life, we are no longer in the day to day rat race. Granted we have everything paid for and bought our solar panels and wind generator before moving off grid. We are framing in our walls and stuff but i dont think i would go back to grid life and the rat race.

It’s nice to wake up in the morning knowing everything you do is for our selfs and no one else. Either you will love it or hate it. It’s not easy and its alot of work but at the end of the day its yours.

Hope it helps.

dwhukltd
    Participant

test post

madrona
    Participant

Hi, Jerry. I raised a child from age three through age 14 off-grid, and some of that time was before cellphones or internet even existed, so we were really OFF-off-grid. That child is in an ivy league college now. There’s really nothing too different about it, except the absence of TV. The children who live around here tend to be imaginative and self-sufficient, and there’s certainly no problems with obesity because they’re always moving around. It’s important to find a community to be part of, so that the kids have playmates.

3kidsinthewoods
    Participant

Jerry, we went off-grid 4 years ago with a 2 and 3 year old. We are 4 miles from the nearest power line, and lived in a hunting cabin (no running water or power) for 1 full year. We did have a river on the property where we got our water. In the year, we built our house on the property. (Also during that year, we got pregnant with our 3rd child). It was hard…especially with the pregnancy. I had some concerns and was always worried that CPS was going to show up. Now our house is finished and the solar was installed in December, so I worry a lot less. (We have homeschool and run our own geothermal company (www.geointegrate.com)…but this year I think we are going to put the kids in school. We have gravity fed water tanks, we heat with a wood stove, solar power for lights and propane lights and fridge. We also use solar for running the washing machine. Now that we have this all worked out, I worry less. It would definitely be easier to do without kids in the picture, but just remember 95% of the worlds population is off-grid. And so were most Americans until 70 years ago. If you are committed and you want to do it, don’t wait because of the kids. Our kids have learned a great deal about independence, privilege and basic skills through watching us. It will be one of the best learning experiences your kids could ever have. (side note-cell phones do not work where we live and we have no TV or internet at our house…the kids get used to it, play with each other and read books or build things).

Dustoffer
    Participant

Went off grid in ’97 with an 9 yr. old little helper. First small frame then hybrid Earthship addition and then a true Earthship outbuilding, all in spare time, weekends and holidays for three years, with the idea of being green and independent(and doing His Will). He is now on his own, but knows green well, and visits often.

All of this work and sacrifice, but the biggest thing we did for the future kids is have only one child.

“Research from Murtaugh and Schlax at Oregon State University shows that a hypothetical American woman who switches to a more fuel-efficient car, drives less, recycles, installs more efficient light bulbs, and replaces her refrigerator and windows with energy-saving models, would increase her carbon legacy by 40 times if she has two children.”

lamar5292
    Participant

Kids adjust well to an off-grid outdoors lifestyle even better than teens and it is a great adventure for them.

kids don’t need a lot of room and enjoy family closeness so a small cabin like mine is good.

You will want communication in case of an emergency so cell phone or satellite phone is good and that will also allow you to have internet.

You can watch my vids for ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/solarcabin

LaMar

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.