MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Going grid again in Feb or March

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  puppymama 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

puppymama
    Participant

I am a woman over 50, have mild form of MS, I lived totally off the grid in Manistee National Forest for 6 months. I started out with a two room tent, upgraded to a travel trailer. Travel trailer would have required a half ton truck to pull so i sold it and bought used Motorhome. Quite a learning experience.

Now I have dependable car, cartop carrier, tent always packed in the trunk. I am getting my gear together and planning on hitting the road in february or march.

I have a mature full sized chihuahua, and her two new puppies.

I am not sure where we are headed, but i’d like to find some other people to camp with or by. I have a small income so i can meet my own needs. since i have ms and tire easily, working for my keep isn’t an option.

love suggestions and ideas. also i need to do more research on affordable solar setup.

i love the camping lifestyle. not into drugs or drinkers though.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hello and welcome puppymama! You sound like an interesting and amazing woman :) You said you didn’t have any particular idea as to where you’d like to go, I’m just wondering if you have any preferences? Living where you have lived, I can’t imagine it, I live in the desert southwest, in far west Texas, it must be as different as night and day. Do you have any pictures? Here is what it looks like where I live.
    ”

Wretha

puppymama
    Participant

you may see most of my pics on my twitpic under StephTravels. I am currently living in a rented room in a house and i have discovered that people often lie about how much they drink. surprise.

i have to upload and sort out some pictures. just changed over to a toshiba laptop i got free because no one knew how to fix it. thank you for your kind welcome to the forums. i have lived in las cruces nm before, san antonio tx, england, scotland, germany, traveled in a semi truck.

i am a self sufficient person who has examined what lifestyle makes me happy. surprising enough i love camping as a lifestyle and i am getting my ducks in a row so i can do it again. i have dry camped, i like leaving the land looking as if i hadn’t been there, except for leaving firewood for the next person’s first campfire.

i need to learn more about how to power the few devices i need, laptop, cellphone. other than that, i live sans power very happily.

puppymama
    Participant

looks like a lovely area. i am probably headed toward that general direction. starting out with tent again. think i may stick with tent. loved travel trailer the best but i lose mobility with a travel trailer. comfort vs travel costs.

offthegridinok
    Participant

puppymama

i posted for you in the 4k system topic some information on a small portable solar system I know Wretha has used it also

puppymama
    Participant

thank you so much.

puppymama
    Participant

judging by the behaviour of my current roommate/landlord, i may be bugging out off grid as early as new years eve. woooeee. a chihuahua, two 9 week old puppies, and half my gear to buy yet on a fixed income. stocked up on books and warm clothes though so it is do-able.

men in north carolina seem to take personal offense to a woman who doesn’t play helpless. ay ay ay ay.

puppymama
    Participant

This site is amazing for resources and information. i am so excited about the reams of information i have found and the laid back atmosphere.

i would be grateful for any and all tips related to off the grid dispersed camping in an eco friendly manner on a tight budget.

thank you all,

Stephanie, Mona the chihuahua, and the Mona2crewpuppies

centralpafarm
    Participant

so your on the east coast? You sound like someone mature that I could deal with.  . could  you deal with pooping in a porta potty? I have no indoor plumbing so me and mom have to wash with cloths.

http://directory.ic.org/22661/Central_Pa_Mountain_wilderness_farm

puppymama
    Participant

Solar shower is great. take some dark colored 2 liter pop bottles and fill with water, set in sun.

when warm enough pour into large old-fashioned hot water bottle. attach the hose and large nozzle. wet down. clamp hose. lather up including hair, unclamp, rince.

step into nice old fashioned warm heavy mens terry cloth floor length bath robe.

i’ve done this camping in tent. used tarps and clothes line to make temp shower privacy enclosure

puppymama
    Participant

(waves at wretha) i am getting some email with some links i have never seen. my email stephanieb801@gmail.com  please get ahold of me.

puppymama
    Participant

living situation seems to be blowing up. landlord drinks. may be bugging out right after first of the year.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Bummer, sounds like a bad situation, but I always try to see the good in everything, even the seemingly negative things, something good will come of this. :)

Wretha

puppymama
    Participant

i’m not stressed. what i don’t have, i can get along the way, the extra stuff to get rid of… hey that’s stock for a flea market. i have experience in that area.

actually it would be a relief. i am proud of  practicing what my grandmother taught me about holding my tongue and politeness, but i really am looking to getting in my car, going down the road, exploring where i want to settle.

puppymama
    Participant

the plus side, my internet is mobile anyway, broadband card in my laptop.

also subscribe to netflix woooohoooo movies :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.