MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Technical Discussion Genny battery inverter & charger wiring

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Justme
    Participant

I am sorting out an off grid power supply. The basic set up is low usage items run 24 7 on an inverter via a battery bank. Then for a set period each day the genny will go on to

a, charge the batts

&

b provide power for the heavy consumption items.

The heavy & low consumption items will be supplied from sepperate trips / circuits.

Each aspect of the wiring on its own I have no problem with:

batt to inverter to fuse board 1 (low power)

charger to batt

genny to charger

genny to fuse board 2 (high power)

The questions are:

How will all these systems interact with each other?

Can they all be left wired up full time & switched on & off as needed (basicaly thinking just turning the genny on & off & leave the rest to it)?

When the charger is turned off I cant measure any resistance across the plus & minus cables so does that mean it wont drain the batt if left connected?

Whilst charging will I see any interfearance on the inverted power (prob likely that very little will be on the inverter whilst genny is running any way)?

The genny, fuse box 1 & 2 & inverter (& hence all the sockets) will all be earth bonded together & via a large earth spike/rod.

Justme

petew

get a back up generator auto change over switch it will solve al your problems

elnav

What the original poster is asking is exactly how thousands of RV and boats are presently wired up. Its not especially complicated and there are literallly hundreds of DIY books showing how to do it. If you are building from scratch there are many retail vendors selling exactly the equipment you need. Beware of buying the least cost equipment.

Cheap prices = cheap equipment in most cases.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.