MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion finding and buying land

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BzPAL 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

First off I want to say hello to everyone. My name is Beth, I am engaged and my fiance and I would love to move off grid. I have been researching making this switch but am having a hard time looking for land. Are there any sites or places that have raw land that can be purchasedan for fairly cheap?  How and where have some of you bought /found land?

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hi Beth, what part of the country are you in now? Are you flexible in where you wish to live? Usually the more desolate the land the cheaper… west Texas has some cheap land, the issues are water, access, long distances to anything. The land is cheap, but getting services isn’t. We do just fine, but it’s not for everyone, you either love it or you hate it. I can’t speak for the rest of the USA. Wherever you choose, be SURE you walk the land, don’t buy sight unseen, make SURE of the local codes and regulations, meet the locals, get an idea if these are the folk you want to live near… Depending on what you want to build, look around the area, I hate to say it, but if you see junky yards, broken down homes, the more likey it is you can do what you want on your property, just don’t be the worst looking place, make sure some other property looks worse than yours. :)

Wretha

Beth
    Participant

Currently I am living in Pennsylvania.  Location isn’t a huge issue. I would like to stay away from the west coast. Texas seems like a place I could look into. Are there a lot of people living off grid there? I feel like it’s hard to find others who have gone off grid. Maybe it’s just my location. I would like to be able to build my home and I was hoping to find it next to or not too far from a water source. I’m sure a lot of people are looking for that though

12vman
    Participant

I found a piece of property that no one else wanted. (~10 Ac.) It had set in a dormant estate account for 30+ years. Purchased it in ’89 for 2K. Found it through a realtor that was working for a bank to tie up loose ends. It was even land locked! (No access to road frontage) I worked with a neighbor to purchase a strip of land to make things legal. That 1/3 Ac. plus survey/paperwork cost more than the 10 Ac… lol

Since then, I converted something that was totally worthless into 960 Sq. Ft. of heaven, totally solar powered, no well, (Collect cloud juice) No septic, (Composting system) Almost totally self sufficient! Wood heat and propane fridges/cook stove. (Could survive without the propane if needed)

There’s more off grid folks in Pa. than you know. I’m aware of several through other forums. Some take advantage of the mountain streams for power..

I’m in Ohio so I’m not too far away. Plan for a road trip! See a real off grid situation..

Beth
    Participant

That sounds like a great set up. Hey, if you’re really offering my fiance and I would love to take a mini road trip to see a real off grid set up. I’m going to keep searching for others in PA. I feel like it would really help to see and talk to people who are already living like this and gather advice/ideas from them.

12vman
    Participant

Sure! Me and the wife would be glad to show you both how we do things around here..

I’ve hosted Carla Emery and her husband twice here at my humble little abode in the woods. My living room has been full of curious folks like yourself..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carla_Emery

Don’t expect a mansion because it’s not. Expect an unfinished shack that has become my lifetime experiment..

windorsun (at) aol (dot) com

BzPAL
    Participant

@12vman, isn’t it a great feeling to have your lifestyle validated by others?  That’s why a community feeling is nice, or to not be too isolated for people to seek you out.  I often wish I weren’t so isolated and could attend workshops, fairs and the like easier.  But I will just need to get more like-minded people to come to Belize!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.