MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Finally purchased my land…..now what.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  beast 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

metroidhntr
    Participant

So I finally was able to purchase my land.  36 acres in the south part of colorado.  My plan is to build slowly over the next 10 years.  Making it more livable each time I go out there.  The problem is where do I start at.  I was thinking of building a 500 sq. ft. shelter which I could use to put storage tanks in for rain harvesting, but the more I think about it the more expensive it gets.  It starts to get over whelming.  I keep trying to find the cheapest yet most reliable way of doing this, but it seems like I am going to need at least 10k just to start this project.  1) is cost of tools  2)  building supplies 3) transportation of said supplies.   The foundation for this 1 project could mean costing me over 4k.   Any ideas?

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Congrats, that is a huge step, one that many do not get to make.

My suggestion would be to camp on your property before making any decisions as to what and where you wish to build, get to know your land. It sounds like you might be trying to go big too soon, there are other options, those morgan building sheds that can be converted into a cabin, or maybe you could get a camper, the nice thing about campers is they are portable, unless you are very limited as to where you can plant your home, you can move the camper around. One thing we learned when we first began to build is we were surprised about the winds and the direction they blew…. we assumed they would be relatively the same as where we came from, blowing from the north in winter, and south in summer, well we were very wrong about that, fortunately we didn’t make any major mistakes about the orientation of our home, but it could have been a disaster.

How far away do you live from your property? How often can you visit and how long can you stay each time? The more you can visit and camp out, the better off you will be, you will be making informed decisions instead of guessing.

Wretha

beast
    Participant

are there trees there? poleframing is cheap and easy, no foundation needed
    do you have rocks? a good cob mix with rocks added makes a hell of a floor and foundation, thats all many castles were built on
    our pioneer ancestors built whole cities with nothing more thn an axe and a shovel you dont really need a lot of tools
    just ambition and the will to do it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.