MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion East side of Strathcona Park off gridders

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cedarcreek 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

cedarcreek
    Participant

Hi All,

I have 56 acres on the east side of Stracona Park. I’m new to the idea of being off grid and having this property gives me no choice but to be off the grid. Anyone on here near the park?

elnav

Thats a lot of territory . Can you be a bit more specific? Closest to what community.

cedarcreek
    Participant

I’m about 30 minutes west of Campbell River on hiway 28.

elnav

Cedarcreek do you have any power lines out ther or are you compelled to run a generator all the time. If so I can help you devise a more fuel efficient system. You can send me a direct email to 2elnav (at) netbistro.com

Elnav

elnav

Looking at Googlemap and GoogleEarth ther seems to be potential for microhydro power on west side of Campbell lake but not so much on east side. you are pretty much in the wind shadow of the higher mountains in Strathcona park.

Any chance of getting power from adiabatic winds falling off the higher mountains?

cedarcreek
    Participant

Hi Elnav,

I am new to off the grid living and just finished closing my land purchase. There is a small cabin on the property, there is a spring that I have not found yet, but will this weekend. There is no power available close by and I do not expect it will come near me anytime soon. I have a 30amp onan genset I will use, the cabin has been wired to accept a genset. I expect to be permenetly living on the property in 3 to 4 years. My land falls under the Strathcona Regional district so I have to have a permit to build a perminate home. I have a lot of work to do. I am a carpenter so the building part is under control. I have plenty of trees to mill, but no mill yet. I have no idea about wind patterns but will be getting a weather monitoring rig to monitor that. Right now I’m content with getting to know the property and having fun doing it. I am going to have well drilled in the next year or so, in the meantime I will see what I can make of the spring and work with that. Any suggestions will be greatly accepted, this is why I have signed onto this site. I will send you an email we can communicate that way, thanks for your offer on fuel efficientcy, I’m assuming you are offering that info free of charge. My email is signal.88 at hot mail. Hope to hear from you.

elnav

Will you be using an Alaskan saw mill or something more substantial? A friend build his place by hand with just an Alaskan Saw mill.

Wish I was 20 again because then such a thing would be a fun project.

cedarcreek
    Participant

I will be getting a bandsaw style mill, woodmizer or something like it. Alaskan mills are too slow and there is a lot of waste. 20 Again???….hey I’m 56 and just getting started.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.