MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Technical Discussion cycling generator.

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  blueskymine 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

verticult

I want to charge 12V batts with a bicycle. I have a high quality “spin” bike with a heavy flywheel. The flywheel spins at about 200 RPM and is 24″ in diameter. I was wondering if a automotive alternator has a minimum RPM? I think I can run the device at a speed that would duplicate 2000 rpm on a car if I can overcome the resistance from the alternator. It seems like it should work.. has anyone tried it? is a vehicle alternator the best device for the job? thanks in advance.

Justme
    Participant

2000rpm will be too slow. Top speed is about 5-10,000rpm. You will get power but not enough.

Justme

mappley
    Participant

Google bicycle generator, or exercise bike generator.

I’ve been wanting to do this myself for a while, but to many other projects more urgent.

There seem to be lots of people setting up bicycle generators and lots of info out there.

Good luck, let me know how it works out

Mike

j_pigden
    Participant

YES, it does work!

There are actually 6 setups like this at the Science Center in Toronto. They were put in about 40 years ago. The front wheel of the exercise bike has a fanbelt going to an alternator at about 15-1 ratio. The original design was army signal corps about 1942. It was used to recharge batteries and run radios in remote areas.

blueskymine
    Participant

Here is a link to a bicycle generator I am hoping to get soon called the “Pedal-A-Watt”:

http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm

(for some odd reason the page is partially blank until you scroll down a little and then you will find all the info and pictures about it,etc.)

and here is a link to the “Cyclean Pedal Powered Washing Machine”:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/cyclean_pedal_p.php

hope it helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.