MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Technical Discussion Copper, pex, stovepipe radiant pipe heater idea

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  samdsouza 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

CrewDallahan
    Participant

I have an idea that I need feedback on… I live in a yurt on stilts in Northeast NY. My main water line is exposed from the ground to the floor, about 4 feet. To keep it from freezing I have an idea.

I want to wrap 1/2″ copper pipe around my woodstove pipe, run it to orange oxygen barrier pex (meant for radiant floor systems), run the pex to my exposed water line and coil it around it, run it back to the inlet at the stovepipe and circulate it with a 12v, 5w circulating pump. There will be a temperature and pressure gauge at the inlet and outlet, a 150psi pressure relief valve, and a drain valve. I’ll run antifreeze through the lines and purge all air.

Antifreeze boils at 388F.

Sound like it would work??? Any problems jump to mind?

Potential problems I see: I’d be cooling my stovepipe and creating more creosote maybe? I use creosote remover religiously so I think I’ll be ok. How hot will my antifreeze get? I have no idea without trying it but I should be able to adjust it by adding or removing coils around the stovepipe and by increasing/decreasing size of my dc pump. What if my pump dies? Will the coolant keep circulating?

Should I have a one way check valve in  the line?

Pord
    Participant

Hi, I can’t comment on your proposed system, but might a Jean Pain compost pile offer a free and non-mechanical option?  Google it and you’ll see how incredibly simple and effective this system is for generating hot water.

samdsouza
    Participant

Hi

Welcome to this forum site. if you want to take some knowledge about solar power then you have to come on this site with the help of this link.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.