MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Chowan/northernperson(ng) question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

gordo
    Participant

have either of you worked with thermoelectric conductors? im not as courious about their use as heat pumps but more as the capibility to generate power on a 24/7 basis. im wondering afyer putting a couple in series which device to use to tranfer the continuity? transformer, relay, or transitor. how to determine the sizing in relation to the total wattage of thermoelectric series. after that i think just a cirict breaker and to batterys. you input would be great. thanks

anyone else feel free to chime in..

sorry mr gumby this isn’t realative to the fridge project

cheers all.

happy solitice, gordo

elnav

not economical unless your heat source is high temp and continuous. Paccar did develop one for trucks to be inserted as part of the exhaust system. They aloso asked us to design an invertere to match. Project worked but was not a runaway seller.

elnav

A company made some thermopiles to power remote radio tower repeaters.It worked but was terribly expensive in propane. Theory fine economics not so good.

gordo
    Participant

elnav thanks- for the info. im thinking since my wood stove runs pretty constant in the winter. 10 below right now that it could be a good source to trickle charge. especially with short days(officially getting longer) this time of year.

cheers g

elnav

Cafamo makes a fan powered from a thermo pile. Friends use one on their wood stove but I want more air flow so on my wood stove we use an electric fan. You could use a computer fan.

Just for giggles I ‘salvaged’ a set of those solar garden lights I found in the garbage then dismantled them. I series wired the solar cells and discovered three such cells delivered enough power to spin a computer fan. BUT, we do not get strong enough sunlight in winter to drive the fan. Hmmm maybe the thermo pile power is not so bad an idea. just very expensive.

elnav

I forgot to mention. Koolatron uses a peltier cell also known as a themopile when run backwards. The plastic cases get cracked and people toss them out. The Peltier cell imbedded in the middle is usually still servicable.

You can adapt that for way less money than building your own using thermocouple wire. To use on the wood stove it might be useful to change the heat sink to a shape better suited to stove shape and surfaces.

BTW Peltier cells are bi-directional. Feed them power and it get cool one side and if you heat them it develops electricity. My experiments suggest you get half as much current from them as what it draws to act as a cooler.

I also suspect the majority of ‘solid state’ coolers all come from one or two OEM manufacturer because they all have the same specifications sheet.

If you are not inclined to experiment but are flush with money you can buy thermopiles as a completed product. Just add heat. Google TEG to find a listing of manufacturers.

gordo
    Participant

im thinking about 2 25watt thermoelectric moduals i found for 13bucks from a company in mass area wireing them in series. gluing with rtv silicone to large square olive oil can filled with water and putting an old toilet fill kit in to resupply h20 while im gone. leave it next to the stove. wondering if i need more then just a circut breaker (auto motive 50) between there and my batterys, running 24v L 16S.

all about tinkering. was thinking to use a peltier as a base heater for the water in chicken coop. give it power for the hear then wire in a strand of xmas leds. prefer to use my pv power over propane. even though the coup is an old camp trailer with a furnace. i have a dozen extra 50watt pannels right now their from 1984 and the voc is not worth put in with my array. i have another dozen that tested well that i live on. prefer to have the couple independent. so during lower solar periods i still have enough power.

thanks again g

elnav

RTV silicone is not the best choice for thermally conductive adhesive. We use them for high heat resistance but not for heat conduction. Get some thermal compound from an electronics store. It is not a glue but ensures maximum heat conductivity. then use any sort of mechanical fastener to hold the two parts together. look at your computer CPU cooling fins for ideas.Also used in lap tops

peltier cells are horribly ineffective. If you want a drink bowl heater look for one of those USB powered coffee cup heaters ‘puter nerds found so nifty.

Typically a USB port only delivers 85 milliwatts at 5 volts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.