MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Technical Discussion Charge Controller Size? – Help Please

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

alexgadd
    Participant

Hi

I currently have 18W solar panel for charging 72Ah leisure battery as part of my offgrid living. I am intending to buy either 1 or 2 130W panels giving me either 148W or 278W.

Can someone recommend the size of a charge controller for:

a) 148W, and

b) 278W

Thanks

Alex

Anonymous

I am just starting my first solar run with two 85 wpa (>170 wpa) modules,

and I am told a 20 amp charger will do nicely for both

of them (I am using 2 130 ah each gel batteries – I have a generator backup

and an additional charger for a bad weather scenario.

All in all, my equipment is on the generous side

(what else do you NEED to run but a medium-sized computer system?)

– a 10 amp solar charger might do, too.

Remember that batteries do not like to be charged rapidly

but slowly, and that they do not like to be discharged below about

80 percent (even good ones, never mind car batteries).

I would have used a 170 wpa panel and one 250 ah battery,

but these items are bulky and heavy and I thought it best

to get items that one person alonecan still handle – one of

my batteries weighs about 40 kilos, but the bigger one

would have been more than 75 :)

Remember that the batteries should always be the strongest part

of your setup (but if I had gotten the batteries that would have lastet me a dozen years, I would have had to lay out about 3000 Euros for that alone…)

so I chose the cheaper gel type, they should last about 5 years maybe,

constantly but cautiously used.

ccna test
    Participant

The main function of a regulator or controller is to keep your leisure batteries fully charged by regulating the flow of electricity to the battery without allowing overcharging of the battery. They also prevent leisure battery current flowing back from the battery to connected items at night. Without overcharge protection the life expectancy of batteries are reduced. Solar Charge Controllers vary in type from simple controllers to more sophisticated controllers that utilize pulse width modulation (PWM) or maximum power point tracking (MPPT) to assure the battery is being and kept fully charged. These more sophisticated controllers use special monitoring software, to control charging by monitoring in real time the state of charge.

Solar charge controllers or regulators are recommend to avoid battery damage from overcharging or deep discharge. The Steca range of regulators are designed for simplicity of installation and can be used with GEL, AGM (absorbed glass matt), sealed and non-sealed lead acid batteries. They should be protected from the weather and located within as near as possible to the battery bank. We will be offering the 100% waterproof Steca range of charge controllers in eary 2008 for any customers using solar solutions based on rivers, or waterways ccnp training. All models featured below include a Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD) facility, to ensure batteries do not get over-discharged.

ccie training | ccsp

elnav

I think a typo crept in because you said “All models featured below include a Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD) facility, to ensure batteries do not get over-discharged” How does low voltage disconnect when the problem is high voltage from over charging?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.