Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion big girl panties

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

Having just started the fire in the woodstove, I wanted to pass on another simple tip I’ve learned over the years. The small prpoane torch that is used to solder, you know, screws into the small propane bottles. It’s great for starting the wood stoves. On the cook stove I hold it through the draft and under the grates to the wood. On the wood heater I open the door a crack and stick it through and aim under the wood. Fast and easy. It’s also great for starting campfires. And lighting brush piles. And starting charcoal (no expense of charcoal starter and no taste either.) Anyway, you get the idea. One of those little bottles is inexpensive and lasts a long time.

desert deb
    Participant

Great tip. If i get the wood stove hooked up any time soon that will really help. Im pretty familiar with wood stoves, we almost always heated with one or at least supplimented. Looking forward to getting it installed, nothing is warmer than constant heat. I guess i procrastinate, its going in a room with slanted cathedral ceiling, a new problem for me, i think im over thinking it.

desert deb
    Participant

Just for those who might be curious the filter system im setting up for the small pond seems to be working. Ran water thru yesterday to clean out muck from sand and stones and it bubbled the dirt up to the top and i removed the scum and top layer of sand and it ran the next two loads of water almost clear. Ill run a few more thru today and pull some water into a jar to see if the sediment in clearing and then fill just in time for gardening. It drains with a slow drip which will be perfect for soaker hoses, and for slowly topping off water in pond. I will fill the pond with the water truck so i have water to start with, the fill on the filter will be supplied by bath tub and washer water. Once rainwater collectors are in place i wiil run a hose from one of those tanks to help suppliment water that can be filtered if needed, we are in the desert cant count on rain untill monsoon.

Solarbum

regarding bunt up chargers if you will unplug them and take the cover off their is usually about a $.32 cent fuse that is popped. Replace that bad boy and plug it into a better sine wave. As far as sine waves go I run my TV and the computer I am typing on now off of a Chicago Electric 400 watt inverter and I never get any of the static or anything that these cheap little inverters are known for when used to power sophisticated electronics. Maybe I will try to charge my Craftsmen off of it this afternoon, I have a feeling the sine is a little less square than one would expect for the price.

elnav

Desert Deb, I can appreciate your situation. We have lived in three old mobiles and before that in an RV for 5 years. When the bank took away our house we considered ourselves lucky to find an abandoned mobile with broken windows and a corner rotted so bad there was snow drift inside the bedroom.

I can tell you it was challenge living there in -35C cold.

After my second stroke we moved because I can no longer stand up unaided. So all the work devolves on my wife’s shoulder. I can advise her but am not able to do the work any longer. We work well as a team. When I was on crutches we swapped out the diesel engine in our truck. A job I used to be able to handle by myself.

Mobiles pose some interesting structural challenges compared to ordinary houses. Are you going to re-insulate yours?

desert deb
    Participant

Have to. Got so many metal panels flapping dont always need to open windows. Gonna reside and insulate. At least it will look better. mobiles are odd to work on. Like a dummy i actually expected plywood not particle board under the floors when i replaced. Big surprise. And the few wall studs i have seen will also need some supplimenting. This thing set empty for some time, im sure you can imagine the clean out process. Im pretty sure most of the desert animals have been by to visit, even had a pet tree lizard living on the blinds for a while. Actually funny, the cat just followed him around for awhile, he wasnt sure what it was. Finally i had to remove it. Fun times.

desert deb
    Participant

I also wanted to ask members about retirement. Is this something you see continuing thru those years. Where i am its perfect. female country doctor. Ambulance service and helopad and copter to zoom you to the big hospitals if needed. I know alot of retirement plans arent what they could be. Too many up and down stocks for 401 and few regular pensions anymore, makes it difficult to get ahead, or even tread water. I have a few years yet but i dont see myself anywhere else. I may have to hire someone to help out but thats ok too, i might be really tired by then. What are your thoughts and plans?

gordo
    Participant

some thoughts on residing your trailer. make necessary repairs to make surface flush. wrap in tyvek. install 1/2 in strips horizontally 2 foot on center. then install fur strips (1.5 x 1.5) vertical, 2 foot on center. place 1.5 inch blue board in-between vertical fur strips. cover with t-111 panels . trim out. depending on the condition of the windows and doors you could pull out old and reframe for new before this. if the doors and windows are questionable it would be best to do first much easier then after the siding project at later date. you can also do this same thing with the roof.

retirement. i sent george w a bill for all my losses but he hasn’t paid it yet. farming. cash income. cheep food.

cheers g

gordo
    Participant

if your interested unnatural earth building. another way would be to install post and beam/timberframe around trailer, including additional space. straw bale and stucco and cover now exterior of trailer with interior finish and get more space with the same project( i.e. green house, guest quarters, ect. ) just my 2cents

cheers g

gordo
    Participant

opps – typo.. in natural. wow that sure changed the meaning

desert deb
    Participant

Wanted to put bales under for insulating. Still thinking about stucco. Just want easy maintanence, dont know if i could do this again in 10 years. My friend has a stucco front but she sure wishes it was encased. Good thought though.

elnav

Don’t put straw bales under especially if in close proximity or contact with ground. Study Straw Bale construction to understand where problems will develop later on.

The roof overhang on a mobile is wrong for strawbale construction. Has to be much wider.

We have a ‘winter roof’on ours. Unfortunately we rent do not own. Best method is post and beam construction so weight goes directly into ground. Resting roof on existing trailer walls places excessive loads on sub strenght wall construction leading to structural failure. We already have one wall buckling.

Experts suggest a vapor barrier goes on exterior surface including any extra insulation. If you decide on strawbale later on then you must use stucco on surface of bales to prevent moisture absorption. Failure to stucco wsill result in premature wall failure. Get a book on Strawbale construction.

I think you said you live in desert country. What will it cost to ship straw bales from source to your place. There is reason why adobe is used in that region.

desert deb
    Participant

Thanks elnav. What im thinking is a large roof over that expands both sides.would slove moisture problem under and allow larger area to collect rain water from. Some of the bale books i looked at put a moisture draining system under bales. It involved 2x4and lotsa rocks, not very technical but doable. It showed moisture in bales being wicked to the gound and drained away thru the gravel. shipping bales not big proplem here local feed store will provide and deliver. would like to see price come down a little, my understanding is some went to texas last year so it bumped price up till market levels again. We do grow hay out here and sometimes you can buy from the grower. Thanks for the advise still plenty to think about.

desert deb
    Participant

Found myself looking at rioby tools this week. did i mention that i got a pup last week. Perhaps i should say a very hyper crazy pup that buries everything. Loves to play ball but first you have to find them and dig them up. Likes to eat but first you have to find the food bowl. i dont think any of my grandchildren were this busy. Gonna be a busy day, someone coming to see if they can get the big water truck up an running. Been sitting for awhile while we finally located a dayton wheel for it an got it put on. This is the type of thing off gridders will be dealing with. Been low on water for months, out here the fire dept will bring it out if you are really desparate, they have made 2 runs out here over the last few months.the water is nonpotable but we work around it, just means buying drinking water in town. That seems to be a pretty good description of off grid to me, always have a work around or backup plan. Ive discovered that there is an unwritten rule in off grid that says if one thing goes down it will tumble like a building. Our started with water truck, then two generators 4batteries. Awater pump and rv toilet seals.

desert deb
    Participant

Sent a new post last night but its lost in cyber space. Never to be seen again. Busy week got lattice panels to hang. Gonna try to get water to holding pond and start the chicken coop. Off for lumber again. if all goes fair moving in next week.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.