MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion big girl panties

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  desert deb 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

desert deb
    Participant

How many women off grid trying this by themselves, or in a group. Who answers your questions? How do you find solutions. Do you have help or only yourself to depend on. Any solutions you came up with you would like to share. Anything you are trying that you got jazzed about? Do you raise animals or gardens? You use solar or wind or other solutions for power. Just asking, looking for people to talk to about daily trials and surprises and lessons. I see a lot of gentlemen on this site but there should be some wives and singles and others that would like to contribute to the boards.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hey Desert Deb, I’m here, a 46 year old married gal, living 100% off grid with my hubby, we are empty nesters and love living like this. Where I live is a pretty rough area (compared to living in the city), while there aren’t many other off gridders living out here, there is only one that I know of for sure, there are several ladies living out here on their own and I do admire them greatly, they are resourceful in many ways, and what they can’t do for themselves, they are able to find other ways to do things.

I might mention that these ladies are not spring chickens, they are 50 and 60+, I am a caretaker for one and I am a driver for another (she has lost some of her vision, enough to not be able to drive safely).

For now, I am blessed with a wonderful man who does all of the hard stuff around here, like reaching things on the top shelf, opening those pesky jars and such, oh and lest I forget, building the sky castle (an on going project)…

Wretha

elnav

Sorry I’m not a girl but my idea was for the wife’s benefit. After strugglong once too often tryng to open large lids on jars my wife asked me for help. I happened to have an oil filter wrench that had not yet been used. It had a rubber strap instead of a chain. Handle was plastic so the whole thing was washable without rusting. It can acomodate a lid as large as 6″ in diameter and gives tremendous leverage compared to a wet dish cloth around the lid. look in automotive dept in big stores like Walmart, Home Depot or Loews.

desert deb
    Participant

Thanks elnav that is a great tip, i have one of those thingyies. Cant say i have ever thought to use it for other than removing the filter on the generator, but i will try it. Mostly im talking about big jobs. i just remodeled a mobile home, subfloor and all. Getting ready to put in woodstove. Spent last few weeks installing the front fencing on property and fencing for the chicken coop. And im trying my hand at making a sand filtration system for the washer and tub. I hadnt used a power tool before a year and a half ago, i like it. Trying to get ready for the raised garden beds and protection from those rastally rabbits. Im pretty sure you dont know what you can do until you try it. I want to know who else is learning new skills.

Sylvia
    Participant

Hi I live off grid with my husband. I admire your accomplishments. I know it’s not easy. My husband has a disability and I know there could come a time when much more may be totally my responsibility. I have been right beside him building our place, installing our solar system, and doing all the other tasks that have gotten us to this point. I feel confident that I could keep the place going if necessary. One thing I have found is that people think that we are somehow deprived. We have everything we could possibly want -a beautiful place to live, a comfortable and attractive well insulated home including, yes, running hot and cold water, a fully functional bathroom with shower, fridge, washer, dryer, etc. You get the idea. Yet someone we know actually took my husband aside to have a talk about he was depriving me of the finer things in life. I guess what I would like to know is why living off grid has become synonomous with hardship and deprivation. Certainly not in my experience.

desert deb
    Participant

Me too. Nobody would let me use power tools before. I, like you, was hands on with hubby and learned an amazing amount stuff. Sometimes even i cant believe how much i absorbed. Look out gentlemen, all those wives sister girlfriends ect that hold that and run for this tool or that or get measurement are learning your crafts, do us a favor, explain as you go. It might save us some time on the learning curve.

MKULTRAarchitecture
    Participant

yah lots of big grils grandmas out there. wandering around in the forrest and doing duties and stuff. hehe its a great way of life! tehn you got all the kids hippies goijng to communes and stuff.

desert deb
    Participant

Arent grammas great. We do it all. We are in the desert and not much in the way of forests, though i hear tell there used to be large emory oaks out here, they were harvested for the wood to build the large buildings in tombstone az. Not very many left now. I have one i can see from the mobile and its big. They take the weather well out here. Most winters they stay green and leafed, looks odd in the winter to see bare mesquite but a big green tree in the middle of nowhere. It gives you hope that spring will come soon.nice to see you comment, join in any time.

desert deb
    Participant

Ok a little slow here. Lets talk gardens. Anyone planting in greenhouses yet? We have live plants coming into garden centers already and i havent even finish looking at seed and tree books yet. Im behind the curve again. Oh well hurry hurry.

Sylvia
    Participant

Although I reciate the tip, I think we’re past the I can’t get the pesky lid off the jar and my big strong man isn’t around. One of the best things I’ve found are cordless tools. There are several out there, and we have the Ryobi 18 volt ones. Especially good are the circular saw, saws all (reciprocating saw), hammer drill and flashlight. We charge the batteries with our solar power and always have charged batteries when needed. When working on a project, we rarely need the generator and it’s nice to not have to mess with extension cords. Although the initial investment in tools, batteries and chargers is costly, it will definitely pay for itself over time. Our kids got together and got some of the tools for us for birthdays and Christmas. We also now have the drill, weedeater, and radio in addition to the above mentioned tools. Don’t want to come off like an ad for Ryobi. Like I said, there’s others out there. That’s just what we have and like.

Solarbum

I think what you ladies are doing is awesome. Going off grid is admirable in and of itself, but doing it alone is admirable and brave. My wife and I have an acre of land and we will be pulling an RV onto it soon to start building our little off grid place, but the solitude is what will be the most jarring I believe. We’ll see. Anyway, I just wanted to say good job, from what I have read you (desert deb) seem like you are rocking it out in all the right ways. P.S. if you do get battery power tools I would take Sylvia’s advice and get Ryobi. As a carpenter for many years I can say they are some of the cheapest and will last forever. Make sure you don’t get Craftsman, as anything less that a pure sine inverter will fry a fuse inside.

desert deb
    Participant

Solarbum thanks for the tip thats what we are looking for. Also the solitude was hard at first but tiny town close with cafe, met lotsa friends there. and it makes for a nice break in the day, as busy as i am i need those breaks.

Ive met so many people there that i now feel like a part of the community, i like it. To the moderato this post would be so much easier if it didnt have a verizon ad in the middle of it. Can be held responsible for spelling errorscause i can see the words, could we get a fix on that, thanks.

gordo
    Participant

dewalt will also fry if you plug them into non- pure sine wave. i used to have an hour commute so i would recharge tool batteries and portable battery pack from small inverter to lighter in car. makita tools can handle this.

solarbum i have a craftsman bone pile. aha the learning curve.

cheers g

elnav

Regarding chargers for anything cordless. I used to work for Xantrex marine division as a sales engineeer. When ‘universal voltage’ power supply and chargers first came out there was a flurry of burnt out chargers run from non sine wave inverters.

Xantrex among many companies supported a Trans-Atlantic sailboat race. We recieved a frantic phone call saying our inverter was burning up the chargers for their navigation equipment. The problem was dropped in my lap to solve. Because the race started two days hence the quick and elegant solution was to ship them a pure-sine inverters in time for the race beginning. However being typical me, I decided to find out why the failures. Turns out the new universal voltage units got confused with non sine waveforms and overheated. Skipping the long technical solution, the short answer is unless the charger/power supply has a fairly sophisticated switch mode design it will have problems. Before you buy, verify (in writing preferably) that it will work on non sine waveforms. Either that or provide a sinewave power source.

desert deb
    Participant

Ohthanks gentlemen and ladies thats what im talking about. Now see i probably would have purchased craftsman because thats tht the tool we have used. Thanks sylvia for that run, i havent bought mine yet been borrowing, now i will remember ryobi. Frankly sine waves wouldnt have entered my mind. Then i would have started my own junk yard. For those of you curious big girl panties is idea that mommy’s use to help potty train little girls, its a big deal, requires shopping for panties with just the right cartoon character on them. Then mommy tells little girl that when the diapers are gone she will be big and grown up and she can wear her big girl panties everyday, how wonderful. Oh well sometimes it worked. ok gents help us out here more tips. I havent started on the outside yet, yeah maybe a whole new passal of needed tools. Oh and then there is the awning. I am wondering about the small wind turbines, we get pretty windy out here, is that a negative or a positive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.