MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Banned Off Grid in Wisconsin

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Pricega75 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

markp1950
    Participant

I just learned that in Wisconsin if you build an OFF GRID home in Wisconsin the Utility has THE RIGHT to send their Gestapo in and put a meter on your solar panels and BILL YOU. NOT allowed to “Free Myself” in Scott Walker land.

DEEDEE
    Participant

Wow unbelievable…well I am sure they wont be able to put a meter on a small “Sunraiden” ..compact and easy to move around with…also I would really check into this law and fight it ..because sometimes these big companies do what they want NOT what is actually the law or right ..Good luck and keep us posted…living of grid means getting away from all these rich companies

lisaA
    Participant

Mark do you have a link for that law? bunch of crap I say. ( and are you off grid in Wisconsin) I am hoping to be some day

Pricega75
    Participant

I think it’s just B. S. Here are the two main statutes that I have read that are Wisconsin law.

Wis. Stat. § 66.0401

local governments — counties, towns, cities and villages — may not place any restriction on the installation or use of solar or wind energy systems unless the restriction:

serves to preserve or protect public health or safety

does not significantly increase system cost or efficiency

allows for an alternative system of comparable cost and efficiency

This law effectively prohibits unreasonable public land use controls covering solar and wind energy systems by defining a fairly narrow set of “reasonable” conditions. The law subsequently allows for a local permitting procedure for guaranteeing unobstructed access to wind or solar resources. A permit will not be granted if obstruction already exists or if the construction of such an obstruction is already well into the planning stages. The effect of the permit is similar to a private solar easement agreement, except it does not require the consent of a neighboring property owner. It is important to note that system owners are not required to obtain a permit under this subsection prior to installing a solar or wind energy system. If a permit is necessary as the result of a local zoning ordinance, the permitting burden may not deviate from Wis. Stat. § 66.0401 as described above.

Wis. Stat. § 236.292, voids all restrictions on platted land that prevent or unduly restrict the construction or operation of solar and wind energy systems. This law effectively prohibits private land use controls (e.g., deed restrictions, homeowner association regulations, easements, etc.) from preventing the installation and operation of wind and solar energy systems. In the case of both access laws – public and private – solar energy systems are defined broadly to include both thermal and electrical technologies.

But I wouldn’t put it past the big energy companies to try and lobby to get the laws changed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.