MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Available to help you start a new life.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  canigoucat 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

gwenellen
    Participant

My family is raised and gone, the divorce is final, I have skills and am just looking for a new direction. I don’t even need much money; maybe room and board and a little stipend, depending.

The City Repair Project has been my focus for a year and a half and now I am getting itchy feet. I was a licensed Electrician for over 30 years and spent a lot of time working on about everything that a Plant has in it. I remodeled every house my X ever lived in for almost 40 years. I have done electrical work in 3rd world countries.

I’m 60 but most everyone thinks I am in my late 30’s. I don’t drink much and don’t really care for pot.

Gwenellen

krazykevin
    Participant

Hello Gwenellen,

My name is Kevin. Just now found this site and you were the first post I have seen.

Currently Iam looking for 100+ acres in Missouri USA to build a echo community. Have you had experience with solar and wind generators? Solar water pumps? Would like also to harness fitness equipment. Community will be off grid. Love to discuss the possibilties with you.

Kevin

brent
    Participant

We are in SW Missouri and are interested in the Eco community idea.

Where are you looking for property?

Brent

krazykevin
    Participant

Brent,

Thanks for responding. Southwest Missouri has the most promising wind on average. It is rated a 3 the rest of Missouri is rated a 2. A south facing foothill with long ridge and some bottom land would be ideal. Each unit will have access to one half acre to utilize as they wish. Taking advantage of the hill hight for wind and facing south for the sun will add to the amount ofelectricity produced. We are looking to build 25 to 40 units depending on requests.

Do you have land or know of land available?

Kevin

brent
    Participant

Kevin,

We currently own 6.5 acres of commercial land but not a suitable place for

a community setting. I did a lot of research on off-grid living when we built

a home back in Texas but did not implement it because of cost and lifestyle then.

I have owned 4 electric cars and just bought a 50cc scooter to cut down on gas consumption. We have quite of few close friends who are interested in an intentional type of community living but they are stuck in their lifestyle. I’ve been looking for a cabin in the Ozarks that is maybe remote that our family could experiment with the off-grid lifestyle, for now it would be limited to weekends as we have a business to run. Are you a developer or just looking at getting a bunch of people to throw in together to setup an ECO Village?

-Brent

krazykevin
    Participant

Brent

Iam just a guy with some connections. If I can find the right group of people and property, it is possible to get funding. The people with money would most likely want to make money somewhere. So Iam gathering people a plan and information. So far the plan is a complicated one involving a large infostructure. Including rainwater storage, grey water, geothermal, solar pumps, passive solar, storm and under ground survival shelter. All this would be in place before any above ground work would be done. The plan is to have a megawatt wind generator, solar array, irrigation system, etc. My vision for a echo community involves an automatic system that allowes individuals to do as they wish. 40 acres would be set aside and divided for individual useage The community could house 80 to 100 people. So I guess I may become a developer. I have and extensive background in construction. This is a life long dream.

gwenellen
    Participant

I am not knowlegeable about a lot of this environmental stuff. I am skilled as an Electrician/building mechanical person. Solar and wind stuff is very interesting to me, but I have not worked with it a lot. I would be happy to learn and contribute. I must be very clear, that I have very little money. My work would need to pay for my existence.

Gwenellen

rima

Hi Gwenellen,

You don’t mention where you are based. We would love you in Britain – need some help for electricity on our annexe for our animal sanctuary run by two doctors and registered charity. We are in a remote and beautiful part of Scotland, on an island by the sea. Our website is http://www.livingark.com

My name is Pradeep Tulachan, born and raised in a high mountain district Mustang in Nepal, which adjoins Tibet in China. I am educatd in the USA, with a Ph.D. degree. I have worked in various national and international develoment organisations over the past thirty years. My district is extremely beuatiful and scenic, the best tourist trekking destination in Nepal. And my district has an immense wind power — being wasted for centuries. Now, as a development worker/expert, I want to tap and harness the tremedious wind power we do have in my district. But, we neither have resources nor technology for this. So the purpose of my writing this comment is that–are there any investors/developers/reseachers interested to harness this tremedious potentials of wind power in my districts –if anyone interested in it, please contact me –we have an organisation called Centre for Mountain Research and Development (CEMORD) which is keen to work in partnership and contribute to economic growth and environment of Nepal. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Pls write to my emails: ptulachan@adb.org or cemord_nepal@hotmail.com

HYRYSC
    Participant

Brent, I also live in SW MO. I only have about 5 acres of farmland (no appreciable tree cover) and am just beginning my search for living off-grid. Next year I will be planting a garden (I am planning a quarter acre garden at first, then increase it each year as I get used to it, up to about an acre finally). I will be starting it also with about 6-8 chickens for eggs and meat. I have a well and a cess-pool, so am off-grid with the exception of electric production which will come in a few years by best estimates. I am always eager to learn about others are doing to increase their ability to live simply.

canigoucat
    Participant

Hi Gwenellen

We live off-grid in the French Mediterranean Pyrenees where your skills would be very welcome, if you fancy some sun. There’s plenty of room for you on site. Check out our website at: http://www.green-retreats.net

Canigoucat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.