MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Anyone here off grid in Montana?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  EyesWideOpen 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We are planning to go off the grid in Montana soon. And I am interested in hearing about your experiences. What areas of the state are best and how you are dealing with the cold and how is the growing season? We were looking into the eastern half of the state. I am aware the sun shines longer there then the west side and it is a bit windy which could be useful for wind power but worried it is bad for growing things. We plan to do a Yurt while we build either a strawbale home or a cobwood home. Anyone have any experience with these types of structures in the area? I would love a cob home but I know it would be too cold for that. Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks~~

EyesWideOpen
    Participant

Hey ydolem,

My family and I moved from Billings, MT down to the desert less then two years ago. If you don’t mind the harsh winters then Eastern MT is gorgeous, with fertile land and plentiful water, not to mention the abundance of wildlife. I was raised in the mountains of that area and I would say it is ideal for creating an off grid life, as long as you can make it through the cold season, and you don’t fear the idea of Yellowstone ever acting up. Luck be with you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.