MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Anybody wanna start our own community?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am interested in finding like minded people who may be interested in a small to medium OTG and self sustaining community.

My ideas include the following:

* 1-50 acres (relatively cheap)

* good source of water

* establish organic garden and small orchard

* long growing season (decent climate)

* Within a small town, ability to work in the area (I would like to put my college degree to work. Not wanting to get rich, just pay the bills)

* 10-50 people to live in OTG Community

* Men, women, couples, families, and pets welcome

* Experience, knowledge, and/or be willing to put in the work to make this community self sustaining

If this is something that interests you, please send an email to yourstrulycate at gmail.com and tell me the following information:

Who you are (and who will be coming with you)

Age(s)

Pet(s)

Job/Occupation (How you make money)

If you have a criminal background

Any experience and/or knowledge you can contribute

Why you want to live OTG

What your idea of OTG living looks like

What area(s) you are looking into

Any concerns you may have about going OTG

Any questions you may have about me and my plans

Anonymous

I was thinking about a similar thing. Problem is that I don’t have the ability to do it full time just yet but I can dedicate some money to make it happen and I have land that would be a good place. I put some pics on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/14716861@N07/ Basically I can’t spend all my time on such a project so it would be more of a weekend deal for me at least in the near term. I could however invest about $100k into such a project and the land as well as some equipment (tractors, etc). This land does have some hydro potential and I already have a decent amount of solar panels etc. Its located about 10 miles on a dirt road from Escalante, Utah. It is also totally surrounded by National Forest and there is no other private ground this deep in the forest. The road is well maintained year round but there is snow in the winter. The growing season is not going to be as good as in the desert but I want to put in some green houses to extend it longer. There is a very nice stream that runs year round which will provide ample water. Let me know your thoughts.

chowan
    Participant

very pretty looking land bigj

MRGUMBY
    Participant

You may want to check out Dancing Rabbits. They have been at it a while and have been pretty successful. A very good friend of mine lives there and I know they make it very accessible to outside folks…and are very willing to share information.

caverdude
    Participant

Off grid community? I would think an off-grid housing development might be a better plan. As a seller of land a person can force certain restrictions on it. I know of 4 people who invested in land together to save $$$ per acre. Later they will survey and divide the land up. They can agree to restrictions just prior to subdivision and even have it in writing I guess. These 4 are not off grid, at least not completely. I have heard that it is better to begin on grid and work your way off grid. I would think that it might be difficult to keep people with given skills sets around at all times. It might be like running a corporation for a given type of business where the corp would have to hire individuals with given skill sets to keep things rolling.

Here’s and idea, Mass partnership land purchase with incorporation and later subdivision with restrictions. Manage it as a LLC corporation. There is such a housing development at Taos New Mexico, they are restricted to building only true earth ships with tires. They have a visitor center which I intend to visit some day.

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

Lenard
    Participant

Hey Dude,

Great Idea.

raw_tv

Hi everyone,

I work for Raw TV, the producers of Discovery’s hit show Gold Rush. We’re looking to talk to passionate, driven individuals who are planning to move entirely off the grid and start a community. If you’re happy to talk to me about your plans or dreams, and I can tell you more about what we’re thinking, please email me at casting@rawtelevision.co.uk

Thanks!

MRGUMBY
    Participant

Cool,

1-50 acres (relatively cheap)

(SUGEST: NORTHERN MAINE)

* good source of water

(NEAR THE OCEAN AND A BODY OF FRESH WATER/ LAKE)

* establish organic garden and small orchard

(I HAVE DONE BOTH FOR YEARS)

* long growing season (decent climate)

(I PLAN ON BUILDING A LARGE INEXPESIVE GREEN-HOUSE)

* Within a small town, ability to work in the area

(I CAN DO MANY THINGS TO GENERATE AN INCOME WITHOUT HOLDING AN OUTSIDE JOB)

* 10-50 people to live in OTG Community

(I WOULD ONLY HAVE 5-10 PEOPLE)

* Men, women, couples, families, and pets welcome

(I HAVE RAISED MANY TYPES OF ANIMALS FOR MILK MEAT AND EGGS. ECT… )

* Experience, knowledge, and/or be willing to put in the work.

(I HAVE LIVED OFF THE LAND TWICE IN MY LIFE. ONCE FOR 3 MONTHS AND

ANOTHER FOR 7. I NOW WANT TO DO IT PERMANENTLY. I CONCIDER THE OTHERS RACTICE RUNS…)

freedom420
    Participant

hey im looking to go otg permanently around the beginning of the summer. im 18 and have carpentry, farming, gardening, and metal working experience. please contact me at joebreece1994@gmail.com thanks

centralpafarm
    Participant

Next Evolution Cooperative

Mission Statement: To create a self-sustainable eco-village community where all can coexist in peace & harmony, experience good health through natural living & physical revitalization, raise families in a safe, nurturing environment, prosper through the efforts and cooperation of communtiy members, grow in spirit with respect for individual beliefs, and to become a teaching community model for others to follow.

We are building a self-sufficient homestead community.

try contacting this guy he is definately starting a land commune and has funds too

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001199115840&ref=ffa

elnav

Start or join an OTG community is a frequently seen thread topic. What many people do not seem to recognize is the reliance on established industry to manufacture all the tools necessary for these communities to exist.

Doesn’t matter if it is solar panels, a wind turbine or a steel plowblade or good axe head. All of these products are the result of industrial development. Most of them are manufactured in distant places. Therefore you will have to rely on an intricate transportation network to deliver it to your homestead. The reality is some, possibly many, small existing communities far removed from big urban centers already have the desirable traits so often listed as being a requirements for an OTG community. In addition they quite often have some essential elements such as a link to existing transportation networks be it road or rail, internet connectivity and basic services needed by just about everyone. Some basic consumer services such as a place to buy necessities like toilet paper or fix the flat tire on your go anywhere 4X4 are often overlooked until you need them.

Very small towns or villages may in fact offer an ideal place to go to start living off grid. Such a location offer proximity to a transportation network like roads or railroad affordable real estate and existing housing.

The recent economic downturn means real estate values have likely dropped and existing land owners are glad to sell. If the village is large enough it may have a retail place that sells necessities like milk soap and toilet paper.

AS you adjust and develop your own ability to DYI you can stop using those services provided by the outside society. Taxes or rent will in most cases be far less than whaqt you pay on bigger urban centers. Semi rural properties are likely to allow keeping some livestock even if its only chickens for fresh eggs. You will find the attitude of small town residents to be more open and friendly than what you might find in the big citie.

Because they are further removed from big urban city conveniences they are more likely to have a DIY attitude. Growing your own food in a garden patch is often the norm not an exception. This kind of environment is very conducive to a gradual transition to off grid livijng.

When you reach a point of being able to generate your own power you simply stop using grid power. Then you are off the grid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.