MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to

Home Forums General Discussion 16' x 18' — Too Small?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ed Meyer 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

NH Property

Hi Forum,

New to the site… Trying to see what others are doing and comparing to what I’m thinking of doing. So, I thought I’d ask for some feedback. Currently live and work in Massachusetts. Been looking at properties in New Hampshire (State right above me), close to get to… Here’s my Idea / question. Came across an uninsulated hunters cabin for sale. Dimensions are 16′ x 18′. Appears to have electric baseboard heat (not sure if I’d keep that). Has the pipe through the wall for a wood stove. It’s a very basic structure. I see potential in it…. Just would like a few voice of reasons /views on the build.

Thanks for reading.

Hi, it sounds promising, it just all depends on how much you are willing to put into it, you can live as rough or primitive as you can stand, some folk need more than others. I wouldn’t think it was too small, but that’s me, the question is, how do you feel about it?

Ed Meyer

New here also LOL, As to your question, No..16X18 is not too small if you take a few things into account. A cabin that size will be much easier to heat in the winter, I spent the winter of 2015 in an old cabin in northern Mn. ln a similar sized cabin…No electric…no gas… no indoor plumbing, Water was retrieved from a hand pump about 200 feet from my front door. Had weeks at a time where temps were -40 degrees F outside and was able to heat\cook on an old wood burning cast iron cook stove. Was quite the experience and long to return to the life permanently. Actually spent the first month and a half (sept thru mid october),in a 10X10 shelter that I constructed myself with 15 gallon barrel converted into wood stove for cooking and heating.

Any questions please feel free to ask…I will answer as well as I am able.

I took on this experiment with less than $200 in my wallet and a 65 lb backpack…that was it… Next time I will be much better prepared, though I did just fine with what I had.

Ed Meyer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.