We know a lot of you have concerns and questions about the ways governments are stopping people from living off the grid. Its a growing problem everywhere, and Covid legislation has made it worse.
The proposed powers will come into effect when:
- A person aged 18 or over resides or intends to reside on land without consent of the occupier of the land;
- They have, or intend to have, at least one vehicle with them on the land;
- They have caused or are likely to cause significant damage, disruption or distress;
- Persons fail to leave the land and remove their property following a request to do so;
- Persons enter or return to the land with an intention of residing there without the consent of the occupier of the land, and with an intention to have at least one vehicle with them, within 12 months of a request to leave.
This new offence will be punishable by a prison sentence of up to 3 months, or a fine of up to £2500, or both.
In considering whether to vote for you at the next election, I am concerned that the current Police Bill will make it difficult or impossible to police people living in vans. The new legislation says that such people will be asked to move if
- They have caused or are likely to cause significant damage, disruption or distress;But causing unnecessary distress to local residents is hard to define and the Bill says elsewhere that police action needs to be proportionate. This leaves too much to the discretion of individual officers and individual complainants, however sincere they may be in their beliefs.
Please can you tell me your intention regarding this Bill if it becomes law? [Just for MPS replace the previous sentence with – Please can you confirm you will vote and campaign against this specific section of the Bill – whatever your views are on the rest of the Bill?]My vote in your forthcoming election will be based entirely on your answer to this question. I look forward to your reply in the near future.Yours
For more stories from off-grid.net search here
Our Our fastest solar ovenBake, roast or steam a meal for two people in minutes, reaching up to 550°F (290°C). GoSun Sport sets the bar for portable solar stoves.
Buy our book - OFF THE GRID - a tour of American off-grid places and people written by Nick Rosen, editor of the off-grid.net web site
Leave a Reply