1. WEBSITE AND SERVICES – USER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Any use of the LandBuddy Site and any materials accessed or downloaded from it will be governed by these LandBuddy terms and conditions together with Vivum Intelligent Media’s standard default terms and conditions and any other documents mentioned within either set of terms and conditions. If there is any conflict between these LandBuddy terms and Vivum Intelligent Media’s standard website terms then these LandBuddy terms shall take priority.
If you do not agree to be bound by these terms please do not access, use and/or contribute to the LandBuddy Site or interact with any LandBuddy Site members.
We may change these terms from time to time and so you should check these terms regularly. Your continued use of the LandBuddy Site after these terms have been changed will be treated as acceptance by you of the updated or amended terms. If you do not agree to the changes, you must cease using the LandBuddy Site.
Additional terms relating to your use of the LandBuddy Site and interaction (both online and offline) with other LandBuddy Site members are set out in the Code of Conduct.
2. REGISTRATION AND MINIMUM AGE
In order to upload any material to the LandBuddy Site, interact with the LandBuddy Site and/or with LandBuddy Site members or access LandBuddy Site member content you must register and become a LandBuddy Site member. When you register you will be asked to “accept” the terms and, on doing so, you will be deemed to have consented to and will be bound by these terms. Any users who registered with the initial LandBuddy registration site will be deemed to have consented to and will be bound by these terms on their use of this site.
You must be 21 years or over to register with and/or use the LandBuddy Site and there must be no reason why you should not be in contact with any other persons who may register with our use the LandBuddy Site.
3. KEY PRINCIPLES
The LandBuddy Site is an open platform to allow anyone who wishes to offer land or seek land and/or join a community that is part of the LandBuddy project, to register and to search the list of other people who have registered with the LandBuddy Site to identify people who they may wish to contact to work with them (whether Looking or Looking, Have Land or Part-Time) in setting up their own Land Partnering arrangements. Vivum Intelligent Media and its partners do not have any involvement in or responsibility for these arrangements and they are solely private arrangements made directly between the individuals concerned.
Vivum Intelligent Media and its partners do not monitor, check or verify in any way the identity of anyone who registers at the LandBuddy Site (whether as Looking, Have Land or Part-Time) or any of the information that they provide. Nor do Vivum Intelligent Media and its partners carry out any checks on anyone who registers. We cannot therefore give any guarantee that any of the people registered on the LandBuddy Site are who they say they are or are appropriate for you to contact and we make no recommendations in relation to any of these people regardless of the category within which they are registered.
ACCORDINGLY, WHEN USING THE LANDBUDDY SITE YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHO YOU HAVE CONTACT WITH AND THE NATURE, TERMS AND EXTENT OF THAT CONTACT. YOU MUST CARRY OUT YOUR OWN INDEPENDENT CHECKS ON THESE PEOPLE BEFORE PROVIDING SENSITIVE INFORMATION SUCH AS CONTACT DETAILS OR DECIDING WHETHER TO MEET THEM, ALLOW THEM TO ASSIST YOU OR ENTER INTO ANY ARRANGEMENT WITH THEM. THIS SHOULD INCLUDE CARRYING OUT THE SAME CHECKS AND TAKING THE SAME PRECAUTIONS AS YOU WOULD DO WHEN DEALING WITH ANYONE WHO YOU MET INDEPENDENTLY OFF THE STREET.
If you have any doubt at all in the veracity and/or safety of another user or any information provided by them, immediately discontinue all contact. Report all serious concerns to us via the “Report” buttons on the website and/or by emailing us at LandBuddy@off-grid.net.
To be clear, each user of the LandBuddy Site (including each Looking, Have Land or Part-Time), acts on his/her own behalf at all times and does not act as a representative of or agent for Vivum Intelligent Media or its partners in any way. Neither Vivum Intelligent Media nor any of its partners endorses or is responsible for any of the actions of these users.
4. LAND-PARTNERING GUIDELINES & TEMPLATE AGREEMENTS
Any pro forma/template legal agreement(s) and guidelines for Land Partnering are provided for general guidance only and must not be considered as definitive legal advice. Given the large number of situations in which people may wish to interact you are strongly recommended to obtain independent legal advice before entering into any type of agreement or arrangement with another user of the LandBuddy Site. Vivum Intelligent Media and its partners take no responsibility in relation to any agreements that you do enter into nor any other rights, duties and/ or liabilities that you might expose yourself to or require from any other person who you might meet through the LandBuddy Site or otherwise.
We have prepared a draft legal agreement(s) that can be downloaded from the LandBuddy Site as simple templates that you may wish to use as a starting point when putting together agreements for your own LandBuddy project.
However, each potential off-grid location is unique and there are numerous complicated laws relating to property that may also differ from site to site. These templates cannot cover every possible circumstance and will always need to be altered to some extent, even for use with the most straightforward LandBuddy project.
IT IS THEREFORE IMPORTANT THAT, BEFORE YOU PROCEED, YOU TAKE INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE ON:
(I) THE CONSEQUENCES OF ENTERING INTO ANY LAND PARTNERING ARRANGEMENT;
(II) WHETHER THE TEMPLATE IS A SUITABLE STARTING POINT FOR YOU; AND
(III) THE CHANGES NEEDED TO ADAPT THE TEMPLATE TO YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES.
YOU SHOULD NEVER SEEK TO USE OR ADAPT THESE TEMPLATES WITHOUT OBTAINING THIS ADVICE FIRST AS EVEN SIMPLE ARRANGEMENTS MAY HAVE POTENTIALLY SERIOUS UNINTENDED LEGAL CONSEQUENCES.
These templates and any guidelines are provided only for use with the LandBuddy project and should not be used for any other purposes. In particular they are not intended to be used for business purposes.
Vivum Intelligent Media and its partners shall not be liable for any business losses, including without limitation any loss of profit or revenue that you may suffer in connection with these templates, any guidelines or any other information or materials made available from the LandBuddy Site even if caused by the negligence of Vivum Intelligent Media or its partners.
5. OTHER CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE SITE & MESSAGING
The LandBuddy Site may contain content created by user submission and which does not necessarily represent the views of Vivum Intelligent Media or any of our partners. If you wish to make a complaint about any content please use the “Report” buttons on the LandBuddy Site and/or email us at LandBuddy@off-grid.net.
If you use any functionality that we make available that allows people to contact you or leave comments, you are accepting these may be abusive, untrue or unpleasant. We do not systematically monitor these comments or any information posted by users to any part of the LandBuddy Site (including any messages on message boards). Therefore we do not take responsibility for or have any liability in connection with any such comments or information nor for do we have where any liability we have been notified of any complaint about a particular comment or information in accordance with these terms unless we have acted negligently in response to such notice.
Please be careful when using the LandBuddy Site and/or any messaging that you do not reveal personal information such as your home or work contact details, your last name or where you live unless in accordance with our Code of Conduct and only where you feel comfortable revealing such personal information to such persons. You should in any event only reveal such personal information via secure communications that cannot be viewed by other people. If you wish to make a complaint about any issue regarding personal information please use the “Report” buttons on the LandBuddy Site and/or email us at Landbuddy@off-grid.net.
The LandBuddy Site is to be a community space where people can share their resources (and knowledge). It is intended that resources (including land) should be shared predominantly, if not wholly, without any financial fee or charge (although some large Have Lands may be required to charge a nominal fee for sharing their land). As such, the LandBuddy Site is not to be used for any commercial purposes (for example advertising).
Vivum Intelligent Media and its partners do not recommend, endorse or verify any help or other resources offered on this website (including Part-Timers or other users).
6. MATERIALS & INFORMATION PROVIDED BY YOU AND YOUR USE OF THE SITE
You agree to ensure that:
(a) all information provided by you via the LandBuddy Site or which you provide to other users of the LandBuddy Site or in connection with any potential LandBuddy project is accurate, true and up to date in all respects and at all times and is not misleading in any way;
(b) all facts expressed by you are true to the best of your knowledge and belief and, if you supply anything that contains opinions, that these are your own and genuinely and truly held by you;
(c) you will use the LandBuddy Site and any information and materials obtained from it lawfully and only for the purposes for which it has been provided and in accordance with these terms;
(d) you will not harass or mislead or act unlawfully towards any person that you have contacted via the LandBuddy Site or disclose or use any contact information that they may provide to you without their consent; and
(e) you will cease to contact anyone that you have contacted via the LandBuddy Site immediately if they request you to do so.
We may remove any content provided by you from the LandBuddy Site at any time in our sole discretion without notice.
Last updated 19 Feb 2010
LandBuddy Privacy Statement
The LandBuddy Site is operated by “Vivum Intelligent Media” with its LandBuddy partners who are providing technology and services to make LandBuddy possible (“LandBuddy Partners”).
Vivum Intelligent Media and its LandBuddy Partners have access to personal information collected from the LandBuddy Site and will use this in accordance with all laws and regulations relating to the protection of personal data including the Data Protection Act 1998. Vivum Intelligent Media and its LandBuddy partners will keep personal information confidential and will not disclose any personal information to third parties or use the information in any other way without your prior consent.
What information do we collect on the LandBuddy Site and why?
The information collected on the LandBuddy Site and the way this is used includes:
Usernames – these will be displayed on the LandBuddy Site for all other registered members to see. Please note that your username should not feature your last name or contain any other personal information that could be used to identify you (e.g. your address). We reserve the right to reject usernames that are offensive, defamatory or otherwise unsuitable.
Email addresses – Vivum Intelligent Media and its LandBuddy Partners may use your email address (which you provide as part of registering to become a member of the LandBuddy Site) to:
manage your membership account (e.g. to notify you if there has been any moderation issue to a listing and/or handling change of password requests etc);
ask you about your LandBuddy successes (e.g. if you have found a Land Partner, what size group you are going off-grid with, if you are a Looking or not, how well you eventually adapt to off-grid life)
Any responses to such requests will be purely on a voluntary basis;
resolve any reports or issues (where, for example, your or another member’s behaviour may be breaching the terms and conditions);
inform you about changes or improvements to the LandBuddy Site;
let you know about relevant resources in your area and/or other goods and services in which you may be interested;
reply to any correspondence sent to us;
allow you to participate in discussion forums, provide content to LandBuddy or register to become a LandBuddy member; and
for any other reasonable purposes related to LandBuddy, the LandBuddy Site or your membership.
Your email address will also be available to other LandBuddy Site members where you email those members within the secure messaging system to enable them to respond to your emails.
Postcodes will be shown as a pin within the LandBuddy map application. Look at the bottom of this page to see what the pins on the map are likely to look like. LandBuddy Site members and their listing will be searchable by postcode within the LandBuddy map, however, members will be able to opt out of their postcode being shown on the map if they choose.
Street names (which are optional) shall be used to help place the pin that correlates to a listing within the LandBuddy map but the street name itself will not be referenced in any text.
IP addresses and cookies may be collected whether or not you register as a member of the LandBuddy Site.
Your proposed involvement within LandBuddy (e.g. a Looking, Have Land or Part-Time) shall be shown within your member listing and shall be searchable as a group within the LandBuddy Site.
Please note that, where Vivum Intelligent Media’s involvement with LandBuddy and/or the LandBuddy Site comes to an end, the LandBuddy Site (together with all member data) will be held and used by Vivum Intelligent Media, to continue LandBuddy in the future.
This privacy statement may change at any time, so you may wish to check it each time you visit the LandBuddy Site.
Last updated 19 \Feb 2010
Code of Conduct
LandBuddy Community Code of Conduct
The LandBuddy website is about building a community , so that means we all need to act responsibly to ensure everyone has a satisfying, enjoyable experience.
And like most websites, there are some classic dos and don’ts.
By using this website, you are agreeing to abide by these guidelines. And remember, they apply to both on- and off-line behaviour.
1. If you make a comment make sure it’s true, doesn’t relate to anyone without their permission, isn’t obscene, indecent, harassing, fraudulent or otherwise illegal or encouraging of illegal behaviour.
2. If you post any content, make sure it’s yours or you have obtained permission to use it.
3. If you post anything, remember anyone and everyone will be able to see it. The internet is global and external sites will link to LandBuddy.
4. The best approach if you are under 21 is to get your parent or guardian involved on your behalf (but don’t steal their password!) or find a school or other initiative that you can get involved in (
5. Don’t give any personal information to anyone until you are confident that it is safe to do so. And don’t publish your phone number, address or other such information on the site (e.g. in Listings) – however, it is okay to put this kind of information into the Registration screens as it is kept secure and not published.
6. Don’t meet anyone without someone knowing where you are and/or having someone you know and trust there with you. Also, make sure you meet in a public place. People can be different in the real world and make absolutely sure you know who they are before you let them in to your life or know where you live (which you may not even want to).
7. LandBuddy Part-Timers are there for a reason. Make sure you get help when you need it; for example if you’re a novice, seek help from any experts on the site. But do make sure you only interact with a Part-Time that you feel you can trust. Remember point 5 above even with Part-Timers. If in any doubt, get help from a friend or family member rather than a stranger.
8. Any harassment should not be tolerated. If you notice anything that contravenes this website’s rules, please contact the LandBuddy team at Landbuddy@off-grid.net and/or, in emergency situations, the police. Please note we may independently contact the police where we feel it is necessary and appropriate.
9. Any other behaviour that is offensive should also be reported to the LandBuddy team at Landbuddy@off-grid.net and may also be referred to the police where necessary and appropriate at the LandBuddy team’s discretion.
10. Do not discriminate against other LandBuddy users on any grounds, including (but not only) race, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or religious belief.
11. Please be polite and respectful with all communications with other users.
12. This is a place to encourage the sharing of resources, knowledge and support for real communities. Brash advertising and purely flogging your own commercial interests will be deleted by the LandBuddy team. Think about it – it’s not exactly in the spirit of things…
13. Don’t use any gardening/cultivation tools you have no idea how to use without reading the instructions and generally being responsible. And remember, with any ’sharing‘ arrangement that means not just being responsible for yourself but also for any dangers that you might create for other people.
14. Use and wear suitable equipment. If you are not sure what is suitable, ask the LandBuddy community in the Questions & Answers section or contact a Part-Time.
15. Don’t leave an unbuilt item or structure unattended that might be dangerous to other people.
16. Do not cut any structure or trees with a chain saw. Only suitably qualified people should do this. Keep firmly on the ground at all times!
17. If you are sharing land, make a plan for any medical or other emergency. Know where your nearest hospital is. If you were injured, how would you attract attention? Mobile phone? Whistle? Alarm? Always have a basic first aid kit with you and any medication you may need.
18. Always tell someone when you are going to your shared land. Make sure your family or friends are given the full address.
19. Respect biodiversity. Don’t rip up trees, foliage etc. that could be a home to species that might need protection or that simply might be good for the environment to keep. Why not in fact think about actively encouraging biodiversity? You can help encourage bees, for example, with good nectar plants, such as apple, cherry and plum trees.
20. Be careful about contamination – of land, water, air and food. Use common sense and get advice from your local authority or a reputable expert. There are many guides and useful resources available. One of these can be found at this link: EP Growing Edible Crops
Creative Commons license, which allows you to utilise all the information on this site for non-commercial purposes, providing you credit the information with the word 'off-grid.net', which should be written as one word and accompanied by a link to our web site.
17 Scawfell Street
London E2 8NG
email nick (at) off-grid.net,
call US office:
UK +44 207 729 2749