Category — COMMUNITY

Gardening roundtable
by WRETHAOFFGRID on JULY 13, 2014 - 1 Comment in COMMUNITY, FOOD, SELF-SUFFICIENCY, WRETHA

About a week ago, I got a phone call from one of my neighbors and friends out here, it was time to do another gardening roundtable. That’s where a bunch of us gets together to discuss our gardening experiences. Living in the high desert mountains in far western Texas, we have a unique growing area, and within this area, there are even microclimates to deal with, so my garden may have different qualities (temperature, moisture, wind, soil conditions…) than someone who lives at the same altitude as I do but just around the corner from me…

So today after church and our second Sunday church potluck lunch, we just had enough time to get over to the community center just up the road. There were about a dozen of us there, most are experienced gardeners, a few were very new to gardening, a few had gardened out here for many years. (more…)

French company joins solar industry march to west Texas
by WRETHAOFFGRID on JUNE 27, 2014 - 1 Comment in COMMUNITY, ENERGY, EVENTS, SOLAR, WRETHA

photo-22

Yet another solar company is looking cash in on the wide-open skies of West Texas.

Paris-based Solairedirect has announced plans for a two-phase, 100-megawatt solar farm on a ranch about 14 miles east of Alpine in rural Brewster County. By the company’s estimates, the plant could bring power to about 25,000 homes.

It would rival California competitor Recurrent Energy’s plans to build its own 150-megawatt plant in West Texas. Recurrent hasn’t yet said where exactly in the region it will build what would be the state’s largest single solar facility.

(more…)

Greenpeace “loses $5m” of donations
by NICK ROSEN on JUNE 16, 2014 - 0 Comments in COMMUNITY, URBAN

Greenpeace International Executive Director Kumi Naidoo in Seoul, part of his extensive international travel program

Kumi Naidoo – expensive haircut for trip to Seoul

Greenpeace, the environmental charity that lost its way over a decade ago, has announced it has also lost money – over $5 MILLION dollars of donations have been frittered away in currency speculation.

Greenpeace headquarters, a marble-lined former bank in Amsterdam is a place where self-important Greenpeace executives plan their next vital air journey to visit a politician or industrialist. Greenpeace executives work is too urgent, you see, to follow the rules they prescribe for others. Greenpeace International Executive Director Kumi Naidoo loves to be photographed at meetings around the world.

Now, one of their management cadre has embarrassed the organisation by running up the huge losses on money markets. The cost helped push Greenpeace into a loss for the year of €6.8m on a global budget of €300m Euros.

It raises the question,why they have $5 million sitting around? Surely the environmental emergency they are always fighting requires spending the money we gave them, not sitting on it? (more…)

Nova Scotia bans new off-grid homes
by NICK ROSEN on JUNE 5, 2014 - 14 Comments in COMMUNITY, SELF-SUFFICIENCY

Dear Off-Grid,

I live on the south shore of Nova Scotia and I want to build a tiny, off grid homestead. So far, it is proving to be a near impossibility.

The building inspector says I have to have 3 radiators and an air exchanger and these must be powered by electricity (as per the National Building Code). He says I must be able to maintain a temperature of 22.5 degrees Celsius in my home at anytime during the year! Who keeps their heat that high anyways? (more…)

Lost Faith in the System
by NICK ROSEN on JUNE 5, 2014 - 1 Comment in COMMUNITY

hagopianJoachim Hagopian voices the feelings of millions of Americans

The forsaken American population finds itself more in poverty (46.2 million people) as well as more in debt ($57 trillion) now than ever before in history.

Young generations of the college educated are having to pay off mounting college loan debts ($1.2 trillion and rising) that without jobs they can never even hope to repay. Rather than marry, have kids and buy homes like generations before them, we worry how to pay the light bill and avoid eviction. Sometime in the last century, when we weren’t looking, the American dream died. Foreclosures and unpaid debts are now sucking the lifeblood out. (more…)

See our latest Video – a mini-manifesto
by NICK ROSEN on MAY 31, 2014 - 1 Comment in COMMUNITY, EVENTS, OFF-GRID 101

Please tell your friends and spread the word about our great new, short film “Off-Grid – Free Yourself”

New rural community to launch
by NICK ROSEN on MAY 29, 2014 - 6 Comments in COMMUNITY

Barton St David, Plotgate farm aims to persuade locals

Amy & Dan – planning battle

As the nation’s housing crisis (also known as the nation’s house price bubble) intensifies, part of the solution is hiding in plain sight – cheap rural housing, on agricultural land, for people who are working that land. I wrote a story in The Guardian to bring them to public attention.

Tucked away down a farm track in Somerset is a project that could act as a catalyst for an era of low-cost, off-grid rural living across Britain.

A small group is aiming to join the population of Barton St David, a village of approximately 500 residents, 5 miles south-east of Glastonbury, with a pub, and a 12th Century church. Local residents are keen to make sure their new neighbours stick to the letter of the planning laws. (more…)

Illegal to be off grid?
by WRETHAOFFGRID on MAY 25, 2014 - 6 Comments in COMMUNITY, WRETHA

og

Apparently it is illegal in some places, Florida makes off-grid living illegal – mandates all homes must be connected to an electricity grid.

It’s no secret that an opposition to sustainable living exists. Earlier this year, Texas state brought several SWAT teams to a sustainable community and threatened to shut it down. Each one of the community members were initially handcuffed at gunpoint. It was called “The Garden of Eden Community,” and was totally self sustainable. (more…)

Another cool tiny home
by WRETHAOFFGRID on MAY 3, 2014 - 3 Comments in COMMUNITY, SELF-SUFFICIENCY, URBAN, WRETHA

They have zero debt, plus their heating and cooling bills are much lower.

If This House Doesn’t Look Like Much To You, Wait Til You Go Inside. I Love Everything About This.

After spending years in the rat race, with their lives revolving around paying a hefty mortgage, Andrew and Gabriella Morrison decided to call it quits. They bravely decided to downsize to save money and adjust their lives so they could focus on more important things than monthly bills.

(more…)

Creative Commons license, which allows you to utilise all the information on this site for non-commercial purposes, providing you credit the information with the word 'off-grid.net', which should be written as one word and accompanied by a link to our web site.
View our creative commons license. View our Privacy Policy.

Vivum Intelligent Media Ltd. 2009
17 Scawfell Street
London E2 8NG

email nick (at) off-grid.net,
call US office:
toll-free 1-877-706-7423
OR
UK +44 207 729 2749