Category — COMMUNITY

The Christmas rush has begun…
by WRETHAOFFGRID on DECEMBER 1, 2013 - 1 Comment in COMMUNITY, EVENTS, FOOD, SHOP, WRETHA

mix

Unless you are blind and deaf or live under a very large rock, you are probably being bombarded with Christmas ads on TV, radio, internet, in the stores and such, it’s been a commercialized thing for a long time. You don’t have to fall into the money trap of this holiday, there are many things we can do to celebrate without having to go into a financial black (Friday) hole.

One of the things I am doing is I am making my own Christmas cards to give out, I am going to be using my newly acquired skills in Zentangle and doodling, I have made Christmas cards before, using scrapbook methods, this year they are going to be easier and quicker to make. (more…)

Yurtastic! UK planning loophole opens
by NICK ROSEN on NOVEMBER 24, 2013 - 0 Comments in COMMUNITY, LAND

Staffordshire council has lost an attempt to evict down a small group of Yurt dwellers who were living in a field without the necessary residential planning permission.

A planning inspector has quashed an enforcement notice requiring the removal of four yurts “used for holiday purposes” because they “provided an acceptable form of development” in the countryside which “supported the local economy.” (more…)

Let us film you and we will help find you an off-grid home
by NICK ROSEN on NOVEMBER 14, 2013 - 51 Comments in COMMUNITY, PEOPLE

Be part of a community

Join us and free yourself

We are looking for people who have the skills and the resources and want to make the move from their existing lives inside mainstream society, leave their jobs and their mortgages and their high-spending consumer habits, and move to a low-stress, low-consumption life off the grid.

Of course there will still be a need for at least some to work and make money, still a need to generate power, wash, cook, have shelter. But we want to show the world all these things are possible in total comfort, with no stress, off the grid, if you arrange yourself cleverly.

There are many reasons why I have been trying to make a film or a web series about people who are making the move to live off-grid. The first is that the masses of material on TV at the moment never seems to reflect real people and their real lives. (more…)

Culture clash: Off-Grid vs. Detroit locals
by AMY SUAREZ on NOVEMBER 5, 2013 - 2 Comments in COMMUNITY

Downtown survivalistsTwo years ago, residents of Goldengate Street in Detroit MI were scratching their heads as people with strange names like Coconut and Mars started moving into the street’s abandoned homes, decorating them in wild colors and planting vegetable gardens in empty lots.
It was a culture clash from the beginning. Establishing a utopian community in a rough area proved harder than expected.
There’s about a dozen or so of them now, along with waves of couch surfers who pass through. They live in houses with no electricity or water or heat. They warm themselves with wood-burning stoves and wash themselves outside with buckets of water on warmer days. Their toilets are outhouses. (more…)

Marjory Wildcraft
by WRETHAOFFGRID on OCTOBER 13, 2013 - 0 Comments in COMMUNITY, FOOD, LAND, PEOPLE, SELF-SUFFICIENCY, WRETHA

marjroywildcraft

I just listened to a Coast to Coast am show featuring Marjory Wildcraft as a guest, I have heard her name before and probably watched a YouTube video or two about her, but after listening to her interview, I’m so much more impressed with her, if you aren’t familiar with her, I think you will be impressed too…  When I first heard about her, I thought she must be some kind of hippy tree hugger, not that there’s anything wrong with that :) it just wasn’t my cup of tea.  Turns out I was way wrong, well she may be a hippy tree hugger, but she is so much more than that! (more…)

Health care vs. death care: 20 ways to stay well (for less money than Obamacare)
by WRETHAOFFGRID on OCTOBER 10, 2013 - 0 Comments in COMMUNITY, EVENTS, WRETHA

health-care-or-death-care

How about instead of paying for Obamacare, we just spend that extra money on living well and healthfully? With the amount of money that families will be spending, they could make some amazing healthy lifestyle choices that would reduce their need for healthcare in many instances. It all boils down to two options: For the cost involved, would you rather pay for health care, by preventing disease with good choices, or death care, by treating disease with toxic chemicals and invasive medical interventions?

The Biggest Forcible Ponzi Scheme in History

The numbers presented are very deceiving. Most people are utterly in shock when they find out how much they will be paying. If your budget is already tight, be prepared for it to become strangling. If I were going to participate in Obamacare (which I am NOT), after subsidies I would only be paying $185 per month. But then, there is a deductible of another $5,000 per year. And then they only pay 60% of my costs, leaving me on the hook for the other 40%.

So let’s add this up. (more…)

Could prepping become illegal here too? Venezuelan govt to detain “hoarders”
by WRETHAOFFGRID on OCTOBER 9, 2013 - 3 Comments in COMMUNITY, FOOD, SELF-SUFFICIENCY, WRETHA

could-prepping-become-illegal

I’ve been talking a lot lately about prepping, getting ready for whatever is coming, whether it be a personal issue (job loss, cutting hours, illness or injury), to a local problem, a national or global problem, you need to be ready. Unfortunately our governments don’t tend to agree with this, it would seem that they would rather have us unprepared, reliant on them for everything. It’s easy to make people want to leave their homes voluntarily to go to FEMA camps when there is nothing to eat or drink at home. Some countries even have laws against so called “hoarding”, and believe me, this isn’t new, they can come into your home, search and confiscate your hard earned supplies if they believe you have too much. They can even do much worse than that… (more…)

What’s wrong with my life?
by WRETHAOFFGRID on OCTOBER 6, 2013 - 1 Comment in COMMUNITY, WRETHA

PICT0017
Absolutely nothing! The sky castle, our fun little home, is fully off grid, we have a fairly small system, turned out to be easier to start it from the ground rather than trying to convert an existing house to being off grid…

Living in a small community, the things people say usually doesn’t take long to get around, I was talking to a friend and that friend told me that someone else had told him how they couldn’t understand how I could put up with living like this… honestly this isn’t the first time I’ve heard that sentiment. My reaction was “Put up with??? What am I “putting up with”???” (more…)

Former 10-term congressman Roscoe Bartlett living off the grid in West Virginia
by NICK ROSEN on SEPTEMBER 21, 2013 - 0 Comments in COMMUNITY, PEOPLE

Former Rep. Roscoe Bartlett lives tucked away on an off-the-grid swath of West Virginia woodland that serves as an implicit indictment of the inside-the-Beltway life he and so many others have led — a life reliant on the federal government.

At first glance, Bartlett is following a conventional post-politics path. After the 10-term congressman lost his bid for re-election in 2012, he began consulting for the defense industry, advising firms on how to pitch federal agencies, a part-time job that brings him to Washington occasionally. (more…)

Creative Commons license, which allows you to utilise all the information on this site for non-commercial purposes, providing you credit the information with the word 'off-grid.net', which should be written as one word and accompanied by a link to our web site.
View our creative commons license. View our Privacy Policy.

Vivum Intelligent Media Ltd. 2009
17 Scawfell Street
London E2 8NG

email nick (at) off-grid.net,
call US office:
toll-free 1-877-706-7423
OR
UK +44 207 729 2749