News and Media postings - Seeking case studies? Please, before you post, write to news@off-grid.net for authorisation.

Home Forums General Discussion Water

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gordo 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Alex
    Participant

I am looking into drilling a well on land in northern arizona. I have heard that wells are normally struck around 250 feet or so. My end goal is to have a sink with cold water and a shower system with hot water.

Is this achievable with a hand pump well at that depth?

MRGUMBY
    Participant

The one I know of uses a panel that is direct connected to a DC motor. It pumps into a tank above ground while the sun is out and the farm takes it from the tank to its various destinations.

I could not see a hand-pump linkage being reliable with that depth, but I might be wrong.

MRGUMBY
    Participant

http://www.simplepump.com/OUR-PUMPS/Hand-Operated.html

I guess I was very wrong. Just found this…

Good question

Alex
    Participant

So with this hand pump I could draw the water from the well into a tank. How would the water move from the tank to the sink?

I was thinking about using something like this for the shower,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkNelEs9lDU

MRGUMBY
    Participant

That style works well, but you would need something to pressurize the system. You could pump it to a small tower and use gravity feed, or a regular DC pressure pump and tank setup…of which there are several on the market.

Have you thought about doing a solar water heater? They are one of the simplest things to build.

Alex
    Participant

So after reading this ( http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_waterpumping.html ) I am not so deterred from a solar powered pump.

According to that article, All I have to do is hook up a 12 volt deep well pump to a 75 or so watt solar panel and it does not even require batteries.

gordo
    Participant

grundfos makes a good reliable 12v pump. i cant remember the specs for 250ft. in ac that would be the magic depth making a 3/4 horse pump the ideal. you could do it with 1/2. you will go from about 7 plus gallons per min to about 3 with the 1/2 hp and the strain may cut life span down. definately choose a varialble speed. in the past the pumps are realitively the same price reguardless of 1/2 or 3/4 but for 1700 plus bucks you dont want to compromise or inferior capibilitys.

personally i always plan on the better gear from the begining. you will save money and time in the future as your desires grow. sisterns are roughly 1 buck a gallon. again go big and then you wont have to add or adjust you system in the future. surface pumping is easy 12v surflow about 80-100 bucks.

this pump will be good to about 12 feet of lift.

check out northern arizona wind and sun since your in the area. i have found there pricing competive but on the high side. i also think theres alot of used solar gear around lake havasu area.

ill check out the otherpower link. my intial thouht is wy build multiple systems. youll have a 75watt pannel sittin there when your not pumping water. i lived on 15watts for 2 years. also in previous topics chowan and i have addressed if your going to be commuting to this property. you can build a extra battery system with isolators on you vehical.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Creative Commons license, which allows you to utilise all the information on this site for non-commercial purposes, providing you credit the information with the word 'off-grid.net', which should be written as one word and accompanied by a link to our web site.
View our creative commons license. View our Privacy Policy.

Vivum Intelligent Media Ltd. 2009
17 Scawfell Street
London E2 8NG

email nick (at) off-grid.net,
call US office:
toll-free 1-877-706-7423
OR
UK +44 207 729 2749