News and Media postings - Seeking case studies? Please, before you post, write to news@off-grid.net for authorisation.

Home Forums General Discussion information on San Luis Valley, CO

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dustoffer 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Natter
    Participant

Hello Everyone, so glad I found this place. My guy and I have been researching Off Grid living and solar power, and wind power and composting toilets and a hole slew of everything. Till recently it was just a dream, a dream to get some land and build a little home and start our life off grid away from the cities. What changed is that I am receiving approval to use my families land in Colorado. The close to exact area would be the San luis Valley area, The land is in the San Luis Valley Ranch Subdivision south east of Alamosa. It is Unit 24 Block 21 Lot 8. There isn’t much out there. Well, we want to give this a go and my simple question is how to start? I know not so simple to answer. I am in Wisconsin now and I know I need to come up with money but how much? And is there someone I can contact in the area to let me know what permites I will need and I am trying to figure out codes out there for building a 14ft x 14ft structure. Any information or suggestions would be great. And if there is anyone who lives in the area please e-mail me would love to talk. Thank you Nat

Dustoffer
    Participant

You will need a building permit;

http://www.alamosacounty.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=137

It is a green county for off grid friendliness (from the “Pockets of Freedom” thread). The aquifer is large and not too deep for wells, but rainfall average is arid. The soil is not very good. There are times of heavy wind(80mph+), and structures must also stand at least a 40 lbs/sq.ft. roof load. They use the 2003 IBC and 2006 IBC for insulation.

Natter
    Participant

Thank you for the information but The web page is for Alamosa County and the Land will be in Costilla County. I have been looking in to a lot of information, now however I am going to be looking for land again because of one Uncle. And me not wanting to start a fight among the family members. So if anyone knows any good web sites for buying land would be great would still like to look at getting land in the San Luis Valley areas. Thank you.

oldtimer

I have lived here for 20 years and will be happy to help you get started and i have not seen winds of 80+ mph avgerage is around 20 with gusts up around 30 Awell avarge 4000 dollars for 100 feet septic is around 3500.00 the two biggest cost weather is for about two weeks a year 95+ but rest of summer 80s winter is not bad because of humidity is so low snow is kinda dry and is more times than not gone same day. We get average of 360 days of sunshine solar is great i am a dealer and instalier of solar and wind products. So if you would like to have some friendly help all you have to do is ask

Dustoffer
    Participant

Natter
    Participant

thank you for your help and info. But we have changed out location. Decided Colorado wasn’t right for us. We decided to go for New Mexico. Found some cheap land out that way close to two different towns that have the company I work for so I can get transferred out there. Should be about 2 acres of land and we are trying to decide if we want to build a tiny home on wheels and drive it down there or if we want to go down there and build a home. Have to make a pros and con list for that one. But again thank you all for all the info.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Live in a cheap used trailer while you build an adobe, strawbale, or Earthship solar home in your spare time!! Good luck!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Creative Commons license, which allows you to utilise all the information on this site for non-commercial purposes, providing you credit the information with the word 'off-grid.net', which should be written as one word and accompanied by a link to our web site.
View our creative commons license. View our Privacy Policy.

Vivum Intelligent Media Ltd. 2009
17 Scawfell Street
London E2 8NG

email nick (at) off-grid.net,
call US office:
toll-free 1-877-706-7423
OR
UK +44 207 729 2749