Off-grid desert living
by ENLIGHTENTOGETHER on FEBRUARY 7, 2013 - 23 Comments in I WANT TO GO OFF GRID

I,Lauren (25), and my boyfriend Phillip (30) are interested in off-grid living (or casual off-grid) in the hi desert region of Southern California or even expanding to NV/AZ/NM.

About Lauren: I have traveled a bit and have lived with 3-4 people at the most. I am helpful and easy going, very easy to get along with. I am not knowledgeable of construction, gardening, or other off-grid topics but I am a fast learner and am strategic in online research and communication. People describe me as optimistic, creative and an analytical thinker. I am self-employed as an online marketing consultant and work from home.

About Phillip: Phil is a hard-working man who is very resourceful and knowledgeable of building. He is a noted artist, free-thinker, and strategist. If there is a problem he is sure to find a way to not only solve it, but to also improve the situation. He is well traveled and is an honest and sincere person who is straightforward and direct, you will never be left hanging. He is also capable of making money from home but can perform handyman type tasks as well.

I look forward to connecting with others who are interested or involved with this phenomenal movement.

1 Michael { 02.07.13 at 1:56 pm }

Check out Slab City CA, the last free place on earth. A simple google search should tell you all you need to know~!

2 Red Water Acres { 02.08.13 at 6:59 pm }

Here are some goggle snipets about Slab City….Can’t own land…No electricity…No Water…No law…..State of CA can close down the Slab at anytime…Although Slabbers tend to defy easy characterization, de facto neighborhoods (“Poverty Flats,” “Lows”) and tribes have emerged. There are Year-Rounders who brave the 120°F summer inferno, and Snowbirds who land from as far as Canada with their souped-up RVs and pensions, soul-searching Gypsy Kids who arrive by train with little more than the ragged clothes on their back, Spaz Kids and their electro-psychedelic outdoor parties, and Scrappers who risk life and limb to collect shrapnel from the gunnery range that flanks the camp, where Navy SEAL teams train year-round (and where rumor has it they prepared for the Osama bin Laden raid). That’s to say nothing of the rowdy bikers who pass through, or the meth-addled loners on the outer edges inclined to greet a trespasser with a gunshot. If the Burning Man festival were a permanent settlement instead of a weeklong escape — remixed with a hard dose of reality — this might be it….

“The Last Free Place in America” lives up to its nickname. Want to hang out nude in thermal mud baths or skateboard stoned in the bowl of an Olympic-size pool? Go for it. In the mood to construct outlandish pieces of art with scrap metal, dig an SUV-size trench for no particular reason or play 18 holes of golf on a grassless course to the sound of bombs in the distance? This is the place. Yet despite the anything-goes reputation, those who stick around the Slabs long enough insist they are made to feel welcome, provided they have the right attitude. Free meals and entertainment are on offer, capped by Saturday-night concerts at the Range, a clapboard venue that showcases live acts of varying quality. This bohemian aspect was featured in the 2007 film Into the Wild, rare mainstream attention that drew a surge of newcomers to Slab City.

3 cornfed { 02.12.13 at 8:39 am }

Hey all, my Girlfriend and I live in an RV and have spent a week camping at Slab City Ca. Its something to see, but thats about it. All things considered, you’d have to be pretty hard core to make a full time life there, to hot in summer, water is an issue, and just to crowded in winter. There are better free camping lands to test the waters with. For example, we found a stretch along the Colorado River in Az that was fantastic, plenty of fresh clean water, good fishing, beaches and best of all was not swamped with snow bird RV’ers.

We’ve been on to the same idea for two years now , in a more casual way ,and desided a camper had everything needed to make a realistic start without having to rough it. So far no regrets what so ever:) We’re going to be headed back to the Southwest next fall, so touch base with us and lets talk some future off grid:)

Cheers, Tom & Marilyn tg2lynch@yahoo,com

4 Kim W { 02.17.13 at 7:19 am }

Lauren & Phillip,
Please check into Caballo, NM. If you think the area might work for you, we can then discuss what we can offer each other!

5 Kim W { 02.19.13 at 11:14 pm }

Lauren & Phillip,
Check into the Caballo Lake, NM area & see if you think it might be a good fit for you. If so, let me know as I think we can offer each other alot!

6 Kim W { 02.21.13 at 8:38 pm }

You can reach me directly @ serenityfarmnewmexico@gmail.com

7 Heather { 02.24.13 at 6:27 pm }

If you’re interested in high altitude desert life, look up Taos, NM. I’m about 16 miles from the center of town, totally off grid and looking for like minded people to join me on my small homestead.

8 newlife { 02.27.13 at 3:11 pm }

Heather,
What are the particulars to join on your homestead? Are you one of those intentional communes? Do ask for fees or payments of some kind to join? Join by buying some or renting part of your land, or some of work barter or everyone working together to form a life? I see some of these communes where it seems not everyone is equal or they charge exorbitant fees to join. I do not have a lot of finances, just want to live out my life simply.

9 elisegc { 02.28.13 at 4:07 pm }

Hey there. I own 40 acres near Lovelock, NV. Right now I’m trying to start this thing called the CommonGround Collective that would let members travel/camp all over the US doing art and living sustainably. But right now, the land is just sitting there. I’d be interested in collaborating if you guys wanted to be caretakers of the land in exchange for living there for free? Contact me if you’re interested…

10 Cornfed { 03.02.13 at 10:08 am }

elisegc : Looks as if this post has been abandon, havent seen one reply.. Anyway, We’re a self reliant couple, full time RVers, and we’re interested in talking more about your ideas.

tg2lynch@yahoo.com Tom & Marilyn

11 Lauren { 03.05.13 at 3:25 am }

This post is not abandoned, I am a lax responder :)

12 Cornfed { 03.05.13 at 10:26 pm }

lol..ok ok lauren, but you know lax never suits tomorrows dream..Live goes by pretty fast, lax too much and you could miss it :)

13 Benji { 03.11.13 at 3:45 pm }

Hey Lauren, what’s your email?

14 MoonRavyn { 03.16.13 at 1:00 am }

We are looking to start a community and u sound like u could fit. :) we have 40 acres in southern Colorado and it is raw virgin land, but we do have a well permit. It is flat land without trees, though we are going to remedy that. Please e-mail us at silvermistcp@gmail.com if u are interested in hearing more.

15 Steven { 04.02.13 at 12:32 am }

Hello

I have 10 acres in Bisbee Az. off grid.Airstream/Walden cabin. water well on property. very basic set up, but looking for partners in crime to build in the desert! Bisbee is funky with a art scene.
Lets

16 Gene Loiacono { 04.10.13 at 3:00 am }

In the beginning there was an idea.Now an idea is meaningless if not acted upon. I’m totally into this off the grid. 6 in my family altogether but not certain everyone is going. I live in the Antelope Valley and hope to find a place in this area.If you’re interested in this area which has a lot of possibilities e-mail me and let’s talk and see if there’s a connect.

17 Keona { 05.11.13 at 11:15 am }

I have 5 acres in San Luis Valley CO. :)

18 Kaitlin { 05.30.13 at 3:17 pm }

Hi am interested in talking to people who live off the grid in the desert. Anyone interested in telling me about your lifestyle?

19 down2earth { 08.17.13 at 10:57 pm }

I own 40 side by side acres in the Brewster County Texas desert, off the grid, near Big Bend National Park. Contact me if any of you are interested.

20 Hiveranno { 09.03.13 at 8:58 am }

down2earth, what’s the scoop on your land in Texas? Are u thinking of building an off grid community or sell the land? Would be interested depending on type of land,water,critters.. Will it sustain?

21 Phillipo { 10.21.13 at 2:06 pm }

Hello all Phil here. So the off grid desert dream is getting closer and closer. Lots of research has been done. Cheap land is a plenty with the most beautiful landscape I have encountered. Sparce life but I alway felt if you can make it in the desert you can make it anywhere. Only because you are left completely to your abilities. Not very many natural resources to depend on other then sunny sun and windy washy wind. Perfect for renewable energy.
My self and Lauren have skills and a dream to be there and make a life for ourselves and others.
Idealy we’d like to be completely off grid with our own power source and food production. Please contact us with inquiries.

22 Jack { 11.20.13 at 3:55 pm }

I am an American from So Cal and live in Norway, legal residence status. Desert living in the winter sure sounds nice, being stuck in one place year round does not. Anybody interested in sharing what they have, in exchange for the security in knowing that they have an international place to bug-out if needed or just to have some of the most pleasant summer vacations on earth?

23 Otos_J777 { 03.26.14 at 3:41 pm }

Hey lauren and everyone else. I too have been obsessed with off grid living since I started my engineering degree. I have experience in construction, residential electrical, solar, and wiring/circuitry. For work I cook so finding a job isn’t hard. While off grid I would still like to go to school to pick up more skills. I have a wife and one year old son. I have my own garden too. Please contact me if interested in partnering up @ Jrsoto1001@yahoo.com