Ideal off-grid spot
by DUNEWALKER on DECEMBER 29, 2012 - 6 Comments in I AM OFF GRID AND I WANT OTHERS TO JOIN ME

I’ve always wanted to live like this, finally just did it 11 years ago, have been here ever since, now retired on SS on my own off-grid homestead. I’m open to sharing the place with one or more folks who are compatible, which would most likely be near retirement age, interested in a more simple, low profile version of homesteading, ie gardening, foraging, not animal-intensive, except maybe a few chickens, etc.

Work is scarce around here but there are opportunities for part-time now & then if you’re energetic, right place/right time sort of personality. I have 160 acres fenced, surrounded by BLM grazing allotment, 14 miles to town. It’s two 80 acre parcels, with potential for owning one of them if everything works out. This would be an opportunity to check it out for a period, see how it all feels, before committing, for all parties.

Elevation 4,500 ft in a valley, cold winters, not deep snow, warm-to-hot summers, but short growing season. Water situation depends on the year, ranging from very little from a hand-dug well, to a full 5 acre reservoir after a good winter.

There’s a small octagon near the main cabin with a woodstove, electricity, internet, for checking out the situation. You’d want to build your own cabin for permanent arrangements. The county has building code enforcement, etc but with low profile they seem to be able to look the other way as long as we maintain a good reputation in the community.

My sense is that being aware of all the possible changes coming down soon, ie economy, global warming, whatever, this valley seems as viable as anywhere looking forward, with a stable, sustainable, competent population.

1 dunewalker { 12.29.12 at 11:32 am }

PS: dunewalker says: you can email me at:
dunevalleyite at yahoo dot com

2 Eddie { 12.31.12 at 6:21 am }

getting old myself, lost my wife this year and looking to get more off grid this coming year,been studying for 3 years and have a lot to teach,solar and wind power,huntting and fishing,plantting and building a small cabin, lots to learn and teach,give me a line or 2, and tell me more,be blessed, Eddie

3 dunewalker { 12.31.12 at 3:53 pm }

Eddie, where are you located? What’s your health like? What sort of vehicle, if any, do you have? Pets? I have one large dog. What’s your age? I’m 66, pretty healthy, but slower than in the old days. What sort of cabin do you envision? Do you have an income or resources? I’m living on SS, scrimping, so not able to cover additional expenses. Can you build fence?

4 Richard { 01.11.13 at 3:04 pm }

GF and I she 62 me 67 healthy looking for off grid living. We are also on social security. May consider others providing likes are compatible. Absolutely no politics or religion or drama or BS. We would prefer Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc – mountain property with water at least. We are interested in gardening, hunting and a few animals for sufficiency. I can be reached at richdbyrd@gmail.com if interested

5 jeff { 02.18.13 at 9:07 pm }

hello, im a single young man (30) fulltiming in a self seficient RV and have been for over a year. along with the love of travel i also have a serious desire to find a place to settle down and live off the land. Considering ive done so much work to my own rig i really dont need to build a cabin to live in. i have solar, water, propane ect. i have been looking into buying land but havent really found anything im ready to commit to. partnering up with some old guys could be a ticket to help everyone out. im very able to do chores and build. im originaly from iowa and have a good grasp on all things off grid, and im constantly learning more. im ready to get out of the city race, and spend some time in the middle of no where. please let me know how we can communicate further. j_haig@hotmail.com

6 luxybug { 04.15.14 at 6:44 pm }

I’ve sent you an email, Dunewalker! Hope to hear back from you. a.real.nowhere.chick at gmail dot com.